PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

keeping in the fridge

Options
Just wondering how long some foods would keep in the fridge, specifically things I might be able to use for packed lunches such as pasta salad, cold chicken, cold sausage, boiled eggs, can't think of other specific things I might use but ideas would be gratefully received...
I'd like to make packing lunches easier by cooking up things on a weekend that can last a few days but don't really know how long I can keep things in the fridge before they go off, even just half the week would be useful of course!

Thank you.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!

Comments

• carbonel
    carbonel Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest you buy everything with the longest possible 'use by' date generally, bearing in mind that this is achieved by stuffing everything full of preservatives.....however......

Things like uncooked meat, fish (especially shellfish) and cooked eggs should not be kept longer than about 3 days in the fridge - we have no way of knowing how long they have been stored before they get to the shops. If you then cook the meat or fish it will extend their fridge life by another couple of days. I usually go on the sniff test, but if in doubt, chuck it out (ours is recycled by the dog or the cats!).

Things like pasta, rice and so on you could cook every 2 or 3 days and then just add whatever else you fancy to them daily.

Or cook stuff and freeze it, then take a batch out of the freezer every couple of days and defrost in the fridge overnight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure