Any advice welcome

Options
My wife has not worked since being injured in an accident back in 1989 but does not get any benefits. Will we still be entitled to a couples pension when I retire?

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    There's no such thing as a couple's pension.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if she doesn't qualify for a state pension based on her NI qualifying years then she can get 60% of your pension
  • annie1975_2
    Options
    My wife has not worked since being injured in an accident back in 1989 but does not get any benefits. Will we still be entitled to a couples pension when I retire?
    I understand what you are asking, you can make a joint claim..
    You claim as a couple.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Worth noting that there are proposals for a whole new State Pension system being discussed at the moment (but don't seem to be going anywhere fast).

Speculation has been that it would be introduced from about 2015 or so, only for people reaching State Pension age not existing pensioners.

After it is introduced, whether or not the 60% rules in the current system carry over to folk retiring under the new system will only be known once the new system is announced, so you should keep an eye on policy change as and when (and if) it is announced.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    She may be entitled to some pension in her own right, but if the 60% of your pension is more then she can claim that.

30 years NI contributions is needed for a full state pension. This could come from a mix of work and claiming child benefit if she was looking after children.

You could both get pension estimates to check what you each might receive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure