🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lump sum calculator

Options
Hi

I'm trying to work out how long a lump sum would last me in retirement after factoring in interest/share dividends.

eg lump sum of £100,000; £10,000 a year withdrawal; 5% (net after inflation) investment/interest gains on the remaining lump sum.

So after first year the lump sum left would be £94.5k (£100,000 minus £10,000 = £90k + 5%) and so on.

I'm guessing there must be an online calculator out there somewhere which can do this?

many thanks

SPG

Comments

• Spiderham
    Spiderham Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    It's very similar to a mortgage calculation except you receive the "mortgage" payment rather than pay it. On the MSE calculator, a £100k mortgage at 5% over 14 years would cost £829 per month, therefore £100k earning 5% paying out £829 per month (£9,949 pa so pretty much £10k) would last 14 years. This assumes taking money out monthly obviously.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    spg1 wrote: »

eg lump sum of £100,000; £10,000 a year withdrawal; 5% (net after inflation) investment/interest gains on the remaining lump sum.

I wish I could do as well as 5% net after inflation:( .

Anyway, your calculation assumes that your lump sum will decline steadily. In practice this won't happen - some years the value of your investments will rise, other years it will fall. If you take out the same amount every year including in the bad years, then your lump sum won't last as long as the average figure suggests.
  • spg1
    spg1 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish I could do as well as 5% net after inflation:( .
    Yes, me too! Was just for ease of calculation rather than a reflection of my investment confidence.:)

And thanks Spiderham, I should have thought of that myself.

Doesn't look like there is a web calculator for this - bit surprising as I presume there must be a lot of people who are looking to live off a lump sum (interest and capital) and will want to know roughly how long it will last. While if the lump sum is invested in the stock market obviously it could fluctuate wildly, if it was in a savings account presumably the net interest after inflation wouldn't change that much (and also could be in a fixed rate product of some sort).
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    This calculator lets you play around with the figures a bit, but does not take account of inflation.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Its very simple with Excel, or open office Calc. You could even program in a random return between limits each year.
  • Sobraon
    Sobraon Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    http://firecalc.com/ is also another option.
  • mouse10
    mouse10 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look at this site http://tcalc.timevalue.com/, I think the retirement calculators will give you what you want
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport