PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

sodium bicarbonate

Options
sorry folks... this might seem a silly question.... is sodium bicarbonate the same as bicobonate of soda???

If it isn't... I have a huge box in the cupboard... what can I do with it? (I was hoping to use it for cleaning..)

thanks

Comments

• fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    yes just found this on the search engine

The chemical compound for bicarbonate of soda is (NaHCO3). It is also known as

Baking soda
    Sodium bicarbonate
    Bicarbonate of Soda
    Sodium bicarb
    Bicarb
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brilliant! thank you!!!!!!! :D:D:D

That helps me no end to sort out next months shopping list! lol!!
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    If that is the case why then do recipes call for different things?
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • grimelda
    grimelda Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    Just don't confuse it with baking powder, which has acid salts in it as well as sodium bicarbonate. Bicarb is used in recipes which already have acidic ingredients and is stronger.
    'Everyone loves to read but it can be a real nuisance when you lose your place. Here's a solution. When you finish reading a page, just tear it out. You'll save money on bookmarks too!' -- Amanda's Handy Hints, Amanda Keller. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport