how much heat would a curtain save?

Options
13»

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That said, I wonder how much closer triple glazing would take this? After the last couple of bad winters and with the government struggling to meet EU energy saving targets, I was expecting this to be the 'next big thing' but no, not a wimper! The Swedes must be laughing at us.

Hiya KS, I'm similarly surprised. My brother-in-law lives in Stockholm and they have some great energy saving 'stuff', like communal heating and hot water - say 8 to 12 flats (sharing 'body heat') with one large boiler.

Most impressed by the triple glazing, that has a blind built in (inside one of the gaps) so it doesn't get damaged, or dusty, or in the way. I was there in June (many years back), and with the sun rising around 3am and setting about 11pm the blinds were essential.

Oh, and yes the Swedes do laugh at us. On a recent trip back for Xmas, his mum rang him to warn of some light snow we were having in S. Wales - think about it - she rang a guy who's learnt when digging his car out of snow in the morning to dig the numberplate out first (to check it's the right mound), that we were having light snow! Mum's, gotta love em!

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    Germany also seem to do well on the renewable energy production scale and therefore I assume on insulating homes.

I have a huge single glazed window curtains are a bad fit, but it took a while to convince the landlord to put up any curtains at all. Can only reach a little more than half the window standing on a chair, very high ceilings.

I am thinking of doing the bubble wrap or clingfilm on the window soon on as much as I can reach. Can you do both clingfilm and bubble wrap on top?

modern flats are being built with triple glazing are they not? Plus those stupid light fixings meaning you have to buy special lightbulb that don't last long and you can't change the fitting in a rented place.
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    if you can't go around charity shops, then Ikea for curtains and buy the lining separately and sew it on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure