PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Need ideas for meal please!

Options
Hi guys,

Well I'm a new oldstyler and have started cooking for my parents (when I'm around at weekends).

They are typical meat/fish, potato and two veg/salad people.

I've done lasagne and chilli con carne previous weeks, but think I need to do something this saturday that includes fresh veg/salads. However, I want to do something 'a little different' and want to introduce them to something new.

I was thinking Enchiladas with mixed salad?

I wouldn't mind trying out my Mums slow cooker for the first time either, but none of the recipes on the Slow Cooker list appeal to me.

Any ideas????

Thanks

Catt xx

Comments

• TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Catt - welcome to OS :hello:

If they liked chili, how about tacos?

fry your mince with a bit of seasoning, then lay out your taco shells, some salad, cheese, peppers, jalapenos, anything you think they might like on it. Sociable stuff as you just pile on what you want.....

Or a slow cooked stew? chuck your meat, veg , stock, some wine in to the SC and leave it. If you want dumplings, addthem for the last hour and turn the SC up to high

HTH
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • lostfarmer
    Options
    Or, how about Chicken wrapped in Bacon?

Flatten out Chicken Breasts, pop a dollop of cream cheese onto each one and then fold them back together, wrapping a couple of slices of bacon around each one. Put into individual pieces of foil, put a small sliver of butter on top of each and then seal the individual foil parcels together.

Put onto a baking tray and cook in oven on about 200C for 20mins before opening up the parcels, basting the chicken with the juices and cooking for another 15mins or so to crisp the bacon. Really yummy!

Serve with new pots or roasts or jackets or mini jackets with green beans or any other veg you have to hand!

Good luck!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you thought about simply doing the meat & veg with different sauces?

I do a green peppercorn sauce with cream, green peppercorns, stock and a splash of brandy. Easy and goes well with pork chops, steamed veg mini roasties

also do a honey & mustard sauce that goes well with chicken

Marinades are good for with a salad based meal. We sometimes do chicken thighs baked in chilli dip[ping sauce ( you can make your own too) we bought a jumbo bottle from a chinese supermarket for a quid and that was lovely.

I cant recommend this book highly enough

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sauces-Dips-and-Salsas-Step-by-step/dp/0864117000/ref=sr_1_2/026-7285922-5556462?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175066598&sr=8-2

you can get it for 1.10 2nd hand! ( altohugh I got mine for 5p in a chairty shop nad one of the best 5ps Ive ever spent!!! :T)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I was thinking along those lines too eg: chicken marinaded in honey and mustard, serve with a nice fresh salad and some pitta breads or wraps, or lamb marinaded in olive oil with garlic and rosemary, grilled and served with a greek style salad (tomatoes, feta, olives, lettuce) pitta breads and some greek yoghurt with chopped fresh mint stirred in.....
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the sound of the Tacos! Didn't think of those - haven't even had those myself!

The chicken wrapped in Bacon sounds good to - might try that one out on darling boyf first ;)

We're not really 'saucy' people - well I'm not anyway, but I did think of salmon basted with sweet chilli - my darling boyf has done that before!

Many thanks for all of your suggestions! Will try them all at one time! :T

Catt xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills