Local foods where we are holidaying

Options
We are going on holiday to Scotland next week. While we are there I'd like to try local foods that we can either buy or eat out. We are staying near Cromarty. If anyone can help that will be great. thanks
mary
  1. jan GC £200
  2. 3rd-9th[STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]actual spend £95.00 :eek:
  3. 10th-16th [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
  4. 17th-23rd [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
  5. 24th-30th [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know myself, but there is a holidays board on MSE and I bet someone could help you there :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi broke mary,

As your thread has dropped down the Old style board I've moved it over to the Scotland board to see if anyone local can give you some advice.

Pink
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    broke_mary wrote: »
    We are going on holiday to Scotland next week. While we are there I'd like to try local foods that we can either buy or eat out. We are staying near Cromarty. If anyone can help that will be great. thanks
    mary

you`ll probably get the same food you buy at home they have a website cromartylive maybe you have seen this already:)
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Oh who comes originally from the Black Isle says there is no food specific to there but the fish and lamb are good, if you like beer there's The Black Isle brewery http://www.blackislebrewery.com/
  • ictquizzer
    ictquizzer Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Sutor Creek in Cromarty comes highly recommended by everyone who has ever been. Local seafood as well as pizzas!
  • broke_mary
    broke_mary Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Sutor Creek looks lovely, it's our wedding anniversary while we're away so will have to persuade OH to take me there. :j
    1. jan GC £200
    2. 3rd-9th[STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]actual spend £95.00 :eek:
    3. 10th-16th [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
    4. 17th-23rd [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
    5. 24th-30th [STRIKE]£50.00[/STRIKE]£35.00
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2012 at 9:21PM
    Options
    It's always worthwhile having a wee look in a local bakers as every area has different items. We were in St Andrew's a few weeks ago and I had asked for information from local people and they were great (even people who didn't stay there nowadays but were brought up there and still visit). Lots of people were so helpful and some had recommended a certain bakers to try. They had suggested, amongst other items, to try their fudge doughnuts. When I asked for them, they were sold out. In the 5 minutes I was in the shop, at least 3 people asked for fudge doughnuts (I think they were all reading MSE forums lol). I said to the Sales Assistant that they needed to get more stock in and she said that they sold 500 per day (WOW!) and they still needed to increase that. Lots of bakers make fudge doughnuts and they are all different. I remember buying cakes when in York and somewhere else in England and the cake shops all had different items so always worth a wee look. You will find that there will be restaurant menus and other foodstuffs which you may not get in your area, likewise you'll get things we don't get etc.

When we are in a hotel or bar, I like Morgan's Spiced Rum (it's golden and not like the dark rum which I couldn't drink). Most people drink it with coke/diet coke but I drink it most times with diet irn bru which is really nice (ice also). You may or may not get Irn Bru with yourselves. I've not been able to get it in some places down south. Difficult also in a lot of places south to get Morgan's Spiced but very popular in Scotland. If you would only like a soft drink, try it on it's own. Try Haggis, Turnip and Potatoes (might be on menu as Haggis, Neeps and Tatties) which will be mashed turnip and mashed potatoes normally - scrumptious! You might even live in Scotland and wondering what I'm rattling on about, apologies if so!

Have a wonderful anniversary trip and enjoy whatever you do. I hope you find some things different to what you normally have as always nice to try something new. :)

OOPS! Just adding something else here and realised that your trip has probably already happened. We sometimes don't notice the dates. Hope you had a lovely time.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure