until what age do you pay child maintenance?

Options
13»

Comments

• 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the NRP how do we know when we need to stop paying? (It's a few years off yet mind you!!) Will the CSA be informed when child benefit ceases, and then inform us and change our assessment (mmmm??)

....or do we have to guess when the child benefit ceases after trying unsuccessfully to get that information out of the PWC who, being aware she will lose money will be reluctant to provide that information...

....and if we don't realise until months later that the child benefit has ceased and therefore our payments should be reduced will the change be backdated or taken from the date we tell the CSA we want it reassessed??

Call me cynical but our past dealings like having a child ourselves and it not being counted until we inform the CSA (despite the proof of a birth cert) makes me that way!!
  • Donedoingdebt
    Options
    CSA liability stops on the child's 19 birthday, regardless of educational status. When mine was 19, I wrote to the CSA & informed them of this, just to make sure they took action to close his account as soon as possible. They stated in their reply to me that they were aware of this & would have automatically made the change (Yeah, right!!!!).

13Kent, I assume you don't see much of the child in order for them to keep you updated as to their employment/ educational status. If you have no idea of what the child is up to, then clearly, that makes things more difficult & yes, it may come down to guesswork on your part. Is there any way you can make enquiries as to what the child is doing?

If child benefit is being paid, then the likely response off the CSA will be that you have to keep on paying regardless of any suspicions that you may have. If you have any doubt, then it's the child benefit section that you'll have to contact, with proof if available, so that they can carry out their own investigation as to whether benefit is being paid incorrectly or not.

Again, I would keep the CSA informed in writing, every step of the way as they're unlikely to backdate any repayments without a fight.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
    CSA case closed on 02/09/10 :beer::beer:
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We do have a lot of contact with the children, but the PWC will not divulge anything to us which will mean she would lose money!

I doubt if the child benefit people would answer any queries with data protection etc
  • shell_542
    shell_542 Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »
    We do have a lot of contact with the children, but the PWC will not divulge anything to us which will mean she would lose money!

I doubt if the child benefit people would answer any queries with data protection etc

You'll know from the children wont you? They'll be telling you if they're going to college or getting a job.
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
  • shell_542
    shell_542 Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    Options
    Tigerbadge - If she is doing at least 4 hours a day, on those 3 days, then you are still liable. Full time is 12 hours a week and included hairdressing courses.
    August GC 10th - 10th : £200 / £70.61
    NSD : 2/8
  • tigerbadge
    Options
    Ok thanks for that
  • Donedoingdebt
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »

You're right; they probably wouldn't give any information out to you. However, they may still carry out their own investigation & either stop CB or continue it. Try writing to them with a request that they inform the CSA (They're both part of the DWP) if CB is stopped.
    Donedoingdebt Lightbulb moment January 2000. Debt at highest approx £102,000. Debt now (October 2009 - absolutely fork all!!!):beer:
  • traceylove
    Options
    a freind of mine s ex is still paying csa to his daughter who is 19 and at uni! and paying for other daughter whos a college and one at school
    i heard cb is paid until aged 20
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2011 at 7:06PM
    Options
    traceylove wrote: »
    a freind of mine s ex is still paying csa to his daughter who is 19 and at uni! and paying for other daughter whos a college and one at school

CB is payable to 20 if they are in certain levels of education, CB (and CSA) will not be payable for the daughter that is at Uni but may be for the daughter at college depending on the level of study.

You mention he is paying it "to his daughter" is this a private arrangement rather than CSA as maintenance would go to the PWC (there has been a thread on here re someone who paid maintenance direct to the child but the CSA count that as pocket money and not maintenance as it did not go to the mother so they were deemed not to have paid)
  • Donedoingdebt
    Donedoingdebt Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    traceylove wrote: »

Under current rules, payments via the CSA finish when the qualifying child reaches 19, end of!

The only way payments will continue is if there are still arrears to be paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport