PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to clean car window rubber surrounds

Options
Lots of expensive cleaners on sale in Halfords for this but how best to clean the algae and muck which has accumulated around my car windows over the winter?

Also, how to protect the rubbery bits and prevent them becoming perished and/or algae-d?

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be interested in knowing how to do this too
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    i would of thought a bowl of hot soapy water with some bleach in to kill the algae and a small scrubbing brush or toothbrush would do the trick just as good as any shop bought stuff
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    angchris wrote: »
    i would of thought a bowl of hot soapy water with some bleach in to kill the algae and a small scrubbing brush or toothbrush would do the trick just as good as any shop bought stuff

Yep. Works for me every time. Use a soft nail brush and don't scrub too hard.
  • CleoTheCat_2
    Options
    I'd be a bit concerned about using even a weak bleach solution anywhere near my cars paintwork! Hot soapy water should do the trick.

As for protecting it afterwards, I use a silicone based rubber seal protector that you can buy from Halfords, however, I reckon that you could use WD40 an it would be just as good.

hth,
    CTC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills