Volunteering- anyone been given a paid job as a result?

Options
Hi.
I have been job seeking for 3 months now, and i need more experience if i am to enter the field that i would like.
So, i am planning to do some volunteering. I have joined up to the local volunteering agency and have seen loads of really good vacancies.
I am just wondering if anyone has either gone on to get paid employment with the same people that you volunteered with, or if the experience you gained as a volunteer has been the main reason that you were employed in any paid employment since volunteering?

Comments

• dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2012 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Yes I know people who have done volunteering and then gone on to get paid work from it.
    This was more or less given years ago that if you did 6 months or so volunteering then you were in the running when paid posts came up.
    However sadly in todays climate many people volunteer and dont get paid work out of it. One of my previous employers had 70 odd volunteers and about 5 people got jobs at the end of it. That was also not with that employer.
    Also if you apply for jobs in the voluntary sector you will be up against all the 3rd sector people who have been made redundant etc. Theres 100 plus going for most jobs in this sector.
    Often employers will paint a rosier picture than it is to get you to work for nothing.Remember they need volunteers because many hav e now taken the roles of lower grade paid staff. My advise would be to choose something that interests you and you dont mind doing while you are looking for work. But be realistic about your expectations though.
    Also look for volunteering where you can get training and certificates because then you are least getting something back that can help you. Also make sure you get your expenses reinbursed.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks dandelion,
    i have to do something, being unemployed is driving me insane.
    At the same time, i cant feed me and my children off fresh air alone, so will need for it to lead to a paid position (although not necessarily in the same company).
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've known volunteering to lead to paid employment, sometimes with the same company and sometimes not. Whoever you volunteer for, make sure that you detail how it has helped you on your CV or any job applications.

Volunteering shows a commitment and can evidence good time keeping, team work, working on own initiative, good organisational skills, etc. It can also lead to learning new skills, which, if possible should be backed up by training courses and certificates. Even if you don't go on a training course, though, you can still evidence new skills - you might, for example, deal with the public for the first time in your working life, so you gain customer service skills. You might learn how to use Google Calendar and book meetings. You might learn how to take Minutes of meetings. You might use Publisher for the first time. These are all transferrable skills, and when in an interview, you can use examples from your volunteering to answer questions about your skills and abilities.

Volunteering can also lead to a recent (and hopefully good) reference, new friends, and a new interest in life.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    See if a smaller organisation will let you volunteer for a while - long enough to make yourself invaluable anbd for them to want to keep you on when your month/quarter/whatever is up
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    Many of the volunteer vacancies have training attached, most of which is mandatory, especially if i'll be dealing with vulnerable young people (i am wanting to go into the mental health field, so looking for vacancies in drug/alcohol related areas, as well as young offenders).

Thanks kingfisher- you have made me feel feel positive about it again. Many of the people i speak to about it (job seekers themselves) seem to be very negative about it and dont see the longer picture i dont think, as they question why anyone would work for free.
    But in my mind i wont be working for free, i'll be working for experience, something to add my my CV, and the chance od attracting a paid job.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    This is a very good way to get a job, assuming that the funding is there: it gives them a chance to see you in action. I volunteered, and first they offered me 3 days' work, then two weeks, then 8 weeks ...

The important thing is to get work that interests you and where you can use your skills. I have seen people who volunteer for admin and database jobs that they are not really suitable for when they really want to get involved with events or the overseas work, and this often does not turn out well.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• shiprob195
    shiprob195 Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was on IS (lone parent) for 2 1/2 years. Once my son started full time school last September I started to look for part-time work, but due to the gap in my work history I found it hard to find employers that would take me on.

I had 12 years experience/ NVQ level 2 care. But the hours of work available wen't compatible with young children.

My Lone Parent Advisor advised me that I would have to have JC+ approval to continue receiving IS.

I phoned round a few care homes/day centres to offer my services as a volunteer for a couple of days a week. I was offered 2 mornings a week volunteering at my local Age Concern drop-in centre. It was great opportunity. My LPA was really supportive and encouraged me to volunteer.

After 3 months an opportunity arrose to work in the kitchen as a kitchen assistant. I was offered the position and accepted straight away. As a result I was able to come off IS and work for the first time in nearly 3 years.

The job is part-time, fits in with school hours (mostly) and I have weekends/bank hols and 10 days at Christmas off... also I have 5 weeks paid holiday a year.

So, in answer to your original question... Yes, volunteering can lead to paid work :j
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't volunteer expecting to:-
    be able to get paid work via
    easily be able to only volunteer for roles that add relevant experience to your CV.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.

Shiprob, thats really great :)
  • wantsajob
    wantsajob Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    It's certainly not unknown for those doing Work Fare placements with companies like the big T to be told there's a job at the end of it, just to keep them working hard for £0 per hour. Then miraculously there's some excuse why they can't be hired.
    Wanted a job, now have one. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport