We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Transferring to a 'New Generation Personal Pension'

Options
Hello,

Please bear with me, I have no clue about pensions.

I joined our companies pension scheme cuz I know saving for the future is a good thing and it has good benefits.

After a while or so there was an announcement that the pension plans were changing, you could stick with the current or scheme or transfer to the new one. (You had to pay more from your wage to do this) Everyone got the opportunity to speak to a pensions advisor.

I did this and he advised me to transfer to the new scheme as I'm only 26 and planned to move up in the company. The old pension scheme was going to be capped at 1%. (I'm paraphrasing here)

However, I couldn't transfer my funds directly to the new scheme since I hadn't started a pension for over 2 years so I have to put nearly 2k in a scheme with 'LifePlan' with Friends Life.

While filling in the forms I realised I have no clue what I'm doing, what rate am getting, whether it's worth me doing this, whether I might lose my money, should I just put it in an ISA instead? How do I tell? Am I able to get pension advice for free or do I have to pay? If I choose not to transfer this money it'll be paid to me directly. (And I'm sure the government will get their mits on it)

Please advise me. Thankyou.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I able to get pension advice for free or do I have to pay?

Advice is never free.

Can you explain the current scheme you have as it doesnt sound like a pension. The New Generation Personal Pension (or NGP) was a marketing name for friends Provident on their pension range. However, a Life Plan is the sort of name you would not associate with pensions but more with endowments.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It seems that the OP joined the old scheme when he joined the company which was less than two years ago. The company has brought out a new scheme but will not allow the transfer of his contributions to this new scheme because he has been in the old scheme for less than two years.
    He therefore has a choice of staying in the old scheme (but the company contribution is reducing) or starting afresh in the new scheme into which he will pay more of his salary but presumably for a higher company contribution?

If he transfers to the new scheme, he has the choice of either having his contributions to the old scheme refunded (less tax and NI presumably) or paying them into this "Life Plan". I wonder is it the same as this BBC pension offering?http://www.friendslife.co.uk/doclib/bpen137a.pdf
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish companies would stick to fairly generic or consistent names. It makes things a whole lot easier if they did.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jammerr
    jammerr Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    It seems that the OP joined the old scheme when he joined the company which was less than two years ago. The company has brought out a new scheme but will not allow the transfer of his contributions to this new scheme because he has been in the old scheme for less than two years.
    He therefore has a choice of staying in the old scheme (but the company contribution is reducing) or starting afresh in the new scheme into which he will pay more of his salary but presumably for a higher company contribution?

If he transfers to the new scheme, he has the choice of either having his contributions to the old scheme refunded (less tax and NI presumably) or paying them into this "Life Plan". I wonder is it the same as this BBC pension offering?http://www.friendslife.co.uk/doclib/bpen137a.pdf

Hello,

Yes, this is exactly it. Thanks for putting it much clearer than I ever could!

I have already transferred to the new scheme (CAB) which I did on advice of a pensions adviser, everyone got a free 15 minute advice session.

I was advised by him to transfer to CAB on what I had told him (planning on staying with company, hoping to get promoted in future)

He advised me to transfer the 2k to Friends Life, which I have taken steps in doing, the problem is I don't understand the rates, what it means, what could happen to my money. I don't understand the booklet and I've had to sign a few 'ARE YOU SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING' forms, and to be honest I don't. It's jargon to me.

Should I stick it in an ISA? Should I transfer to Lifeplan? Put it into shares? Invest it some other way?

Thanks for your help.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's basically just another pension you can transfer your old pension to. You can choose the investments yourself or choose the lifestyle plan which will put them automatically in a number of different funds depending on how close to retirement you are.

http://www.friendslife.co.uk/doclib/mpen23q.pdf

The list of funds is here.

In an ISA you will have access to the money (could be good, could be bad) but you will have a wider range of choices of where to put your money.

You will also not get that whole amount as it will be taxed when you take it out of the pension.
  • jammerr
    jammerr Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I don't recall seeing this booklet.I'm guessing they provide a 'default' one unless you specify another?

My form is at work at the moment so cannot check exact rate.

I wouldn't be tempted to spend the money, I already have a few k I have invested and not been tempted to touch it. (It's at an awful rate unfortunately, I need to change that)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport