Dauhters 18th birthday ideas

Options
My Daughter will be 18 in Dec.As im a single parent ive put away £10 month over past 10 years for her in a savings plan so she will get a nice cheque for nearly £1400(when bonuses have been added on). I also wanted to get her a few special presents and wondered what anyone else has done for their daughters?Ive been looking at the willow tree mother and daughter ornaments which are £27. She is very arty and a bit alternative so silver or gold jewellery isnt really her thing.I was thinking about spending about £50 tops as i will treat her to a meal out also. I know im being a bit premature but just want to make it special for her. thankyou, Catherine;)

Comments

• stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow . Well Done you for being sooooo organised! You will know best what your daughter likes! I am sure she will be well impressed with your saving! Something to keep is a great idea or what about an activity you could both enjoy together, like white water rafting, Sedway or if there is a Go Ape near you? Sphereing? Quad biking? All can work out quite expennsive but there are often discount codes for Go Ape and/or if you sign up for these daily offer sites like itison or groupon they often have good offers on! There was one recently for a Birds of Prey experience?
  • Mistibee
    Mistibee Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the post, I think she would prefer a keepsake rather than an experience, and ive also got her brother aged 16 to think about, eating out is a traet for us and weve got a variety of restaurants in Northampton,and we live near the town centre, so I think that a nice meal will be more fitting. Her Birthday is 16th Dec{ she was 8 days late!!} so im sure I can tie in a christmassy theme too!!;)
  • scrappie_2
    scrappie_2 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know if this would work, but---- my family have always bought me xmas tree ornements each year. When I was 21 Iwas given the most beautiful hand painted set of 4 glass baubles. I love putting my tree up each year - thining back to when I was given all of these decorations as pressies.

It's like having all the family with me at christmas.

I must add - I really did not see the point in these gifts when I was 7yrs old. But now I love my 'Tweety Pie' ornament most of all!!!!!!
    Scrappie:p
    No Buying Toiletries in 2013

SPC # 1336
    VSP #54

• willeynotwiley
    Options
    my granma made me a box of 18 gifts that all began with my initial (K). It had some totally random things like a toy kangaroo from ELC and a pair of granny knickers!! It was lovely though as I knew she had taken the time to find 18 different things for me. There was also my 'real' gift of a cheque in the bottom of the box but the 18 little gifts was the best! I still have the toy kangaroo 18 years on!
    I am planning to do the same for my sons 18th next year so am on the hunt for things beginning with E :)
    Valuable life advice: never play chicken with a lion...the lion will ALWAYS win!:eek:
  • maryjanell79
    Options
    If she is quite creative I am sure she will appreciate something made by you?
    Maybe write her a poem and frame it? or look into some craft ideas that you think will be more applicable to your daughter?
    Pinterest always has great ideas for making your own gifts and keepsakes.

My mum made me a photo quilt for my 30th. She took all my pictures made them all black and white and got them all printed on a white quilt and then stitched in squares so it looked like patchwork! It is beautiful and I was so grateful for the work she put into it.

I am sure she will love what ever you give her! I am already super impressed by your efforts :)
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe do a scrap book of her growing up. Write in all your favourite memories of her growing up. Maybe write about the day she was born how you felt ect.

Then at the end include a message about how you feel she has turned out. What her best qualities are and some tips from mum to daughter for her future.

I did one for OH for Valentines Day a couple of years back and he loved it. I decorated it with stickers & things I found on the internet. I wrote lyrics & poems ect in it
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • tealeaves
    tealeaves Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    A few friend's of mine received a photo album, where their mum had collected milestone pictures from birth all the way up to the 18th birthday, wrote a few nice captions where appropriate. It was beautiful, it wasn't over loaded with photos, just very well selected.
  • I like the idea of Faith177 =)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport