🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cat121 - New Diary

Options
Well so far I've been inundated with very valuable and brill advice - thank you all :T

I joined Greasypalm over the weekend and so far have earned £30 :T - done a few surveys and referred a few friends and family - it's brill :rotfl:

Find that coming on here daily has really helped keep me motivated :o

Unfortunately slipped with the smoking but am determined that I will quit by the end of the month - my April budget has been worked out to the last pence to NOT include spending on cigarettes!!!!

Have booked an extra weeks annual leave to allow for more bank shifts.

Am also trying to walk more to save on unnecessary petrol consumption therefore costs.

Does anyone know where I could do my grocery shopping online (with a Visa Delta)? Tesco or Asda won't take it (am trying to persaude mum to use her card and let me give her the cash) - I think it will really help if I can avoid going into shops and feel tempted by delicious offere etc - will only have to pay for what's on my list iykwim!!

Thanks again xxx
Learning valuable lessons everyday - made all the easier by the folks on here and my amazing family :T

Life is better - now time to save for son's future :T

Comments

• oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Cat - sorry I cant answer your question about the visa/delta card but glad to see you are motivated and back on here. All the best - OOPS
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • Cat121
    Cat121 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update from me :D

Have managed to pay off £429.19 in April :T

Have earnt £64.68 so far on Greasypalm (due to be paid 1st week of June and still waiting for referrals to be added on) and have banked £43.12 from coin saving during APRIL :T

Feeling VERY tired (hence not around much at the moment) but proud of myself this month :D

Now - all I need to do is win my first comp towards earning back my internet costs :rolleyes:

now - i'm off to bed to get some well earned rest :A :rotfl:
    Learning valuable lessons everyday - made all the easier by the folks on here and my amazing family :T

• Cat121
    Cat121 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Had a shameful lie-in and now feel ready to tackle the day :rotfl:

I wanted to ask how people have gone about stopping smoking? This is one of my biggest expenditures (a pack a day = approx £150 pm). I know i really need to quit but am finding it so hard to do it. Am really proud of how much i have paid off my debt during April but am aware that it could have been a lot more if i didn't smoke :mad:

At the moment I have a danish student living with me. She also smokes and I guess i keep using the excuse that once she returns home (end of June) I will find it a whole lot easier to quit (am single parent and once she has left i will not be able to get out to shops etc in evenings - a reality as when i have recently tried to quit (about 3x so far :rolleyes: ) i usually cave in the evening and just run haring round the corner shop - can't do that once it is just me an ds again)!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated - do i just go for it or will it be more successful when i have more barriers to smoking? Does it work better with a quit buddy?

much appreciated, Cat xxxxx

• Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi hun

I don't know if this will help because I have never smoked but what if you were to get a jar and everytime you managed to not buy a pack of cigarettes you put the money in the jar. Your jar could specifically for your holiday.

Do yourself a little poster/sign to go next to the jar which says something along the lines of - Holiday to Disney World Paris for me and DS - £600.00 = 4months no smoking. Maybe even add some pictures of Disney World Paris or your chosen destination.

This sounds daft reading it back but when I am struggling to get through my Uni course I have an "inspiration board" and on it are pictures of the things I can afford once course is completed - there was a picture of a BMW, a nice house, a beach for a holiday and whenever I feel low/weakend I look at the board and manage to push myself further.

I found this also worked with paying of my debts - things I could afford to do when debt was gone !!

Hope this helps

T xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills