Scammed by Entitlements Agency

Options

Comments

• Crinkleduster
    Options
    Avoid like the plague..... You know this now. Especially Taxrebate.co.uk robbing !!!!!!!s. They charge almost 50% of the refund for NOTHING. It's just directed through them. Scumbags.
  • Crinkleduster
    Options
    Make no mistake it is a scam. Loosely legal.... Somehow but absolutely disgusting activity. 40% of your tax back to them PLUS other fees! AVOID these scumbags.
  • mlnr21
    mlnr21 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Similarly I did this, realising my mistake after I had sent off the forms to the company.
    Fortunately I contacted the HMRC to receive my repayment before the entitlement agency had sent the forms to the HMRC. Will they still be able to take a percent of this?
  • Eprincess
    Options
    Need some advice please
    I filled in a tax return form from hmrc few months ago received my tax code for this year and then a letter saying I was due some tax however haven't received anything yet so I rang hmrc the gentle man on the phone said to me they have sent the money to the tax repayment agency and that they would take a percentage and send me the rest why would they send money to an agency when I went directly to hmrc? How would I get the full amount what I'm owed
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Eprincess wrote: »
    Need some advice please
    I filled in a tax return form from hmrc few months ago received my tax code for this year and then a letter saying I was due some tax however haven't received anything yet so I rang hmrc the gentle man on the phone said to me they have sent the money to the tax repayment agency and that they would take a percentage and send me the rest why would they send money to an agency when I went directly to hmrc? How would I get the full amount what I'm owed

What exactly did you fill in/sign a few months ago? Did you do this by logging into your own personal self assessment account on gov.uk?
    Have you ever used an accountant or tax refund company in the past, even several years ago?
  • Mph
    Options
    My daughter has just returned from working abroad. She was directed to The Tax Repayment Agency after googling tax rebate and has been charged a massive 40%! I accept she should have read the small print but genuinely thought she was on the correct website. A very costly lesson learned. Shouldn't these agencies be named and shamed somehow?
  • mkgb
    mkgb Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 November 2016 at 11:56PM
    Options
    I realise this reply is being written a long time after the original posts but it may be found by someone.

If you feel you have been scammed and unfair deductions have been made form your TAX claim, here is how to deal with it:

We got our money back from the Entitlements Agency by complaining through the Legal Ombudsman. The ruling was in our favour on a large number of points, including misleading website and lack of contract and lack of information about the right to cancel / cooling off period. Entitlements agency had the cheek to try and argue that they weren't selling anything and therefore there was no need for a contract. LOL. They are of course selling a service.

When searching for Entitlements Agency on Google now brings up The Tax Repayment Agency. have they changed their name, the web site looks familiar. Anyway, I'm sure the method of getting your money back would apply to many such 'service providers'

I suggest you could also go directly to small claims court as a precedence has now been set by this ruling. Either way persevere and get your money back. Don't let them get away with it.
  • a_loforese
    Options
    Hello you All,

19/06/17

Same thing happen to me just received cheque minus 40% commission plus VAT. what all of you mentioned previously it s happen to me, not aware I wasn't dealing with HMRC. They use same format of HMRC documents also same colour , pale green. Apparently they charges what they like,
    Someone in the authority need to do something to stop this scam. We are all honest scammed citizen
  • a_loforese
    Options
    Hi Thank you, for the information, I will do the same
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mkgb wrote: »
    I realise this reply is being written a long time after the original posts but it may be found by someone.

If you feel you have been scammed and unfair deductions have been made form your TAX claim, here is how to deal with it:

We got our money back from the Entitlements Agency by complaining through the Legal Ombudsman. The ruling was in our favour on a large number of points, including misleading website and lack of contract and lack of information about the right to cancel / cooling off period. Entitlements agency had the cheek to try and argue that they weren't selling anything and therefore there was no need for a contract. LOL. They are of course selling a service.

When searching for Entitlements Agency on Google now brings up The Tax Repayment Agency. have they changed their name, the web site looks familiar. Anyway, I'm sure the method of getting your money back would apply to many such 'service providers'

I suggest you could also go directly to small claims court as a precedence has now been set by this ruling. Either way persevere and get your money back. Don't let them get away with it.
    I realse that this post is more than 6 months old but I'd be very interested to know whether you have passed this information on to HMRC for them to look into further?

Does anyone know if its possible to review this decision online?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport