Is what the Company is asking legal?

Options
I hope someone can help me with this.
Basically, after I checked my credit report, I found out that I had been a victim of ID theft/fraud. As a result of this I am in default (through no fault of my own) I have contacted the company, police, CRA'S and the financial ombudsman service.

Basically, I have found out through Equifax that the company have asked me to provide the name of the person who used my ID so the debt can be passed onto that person, now:

1. I do not know who took my details
2. Is what the Company is asking legal?

Thanx in advance
Save in 2013: #166: 9,122.51/[STRIKE]5,000[/STRIKE] 10,000
Interest earned in 2014: £257.61 20/04/14

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    It is both legal and reasonable for the company to ask for all information you have in relation to this. You should cooperate and say that you do not know who it was rather than get brassy about their rights to ask, otherwise they will think [quite understandably] that you are being defensive and hiding something

Equally, it is their responsibility to prove that the debt is yours, not your responsibility to say it is not.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • RoxRoxBling
    RoxRoxBling Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    All I wanted to know was if it is legal for the company to do that.
    Save in 2013: #166: 9,122.51/[STRIKE]5,000[/STRIKE] 10,000
    Interest earned in 2014: £257.61 20/04/14
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi RoxRoxBling, thank you for your query regarding is what company asking legal.

In cases of identity fraud you would be expected to co-operate fully with any financial organisation trying to resolve the issue and doing so would probably lead to the defaults on your credit file being removed more quickly. I would suggest you write to the creditor and explain the situation and that you do not know who the person who stole your identity was and give them the crime reference number from the police and explain you have contacted the credit reference agencies and Financial Ombudsman Service.
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure