Data protection ?have they broken the law ?

Options
sorry in advance if long winded but have they broken the law .

my old financial advisor retired and sold his clients on to a company called compass !
i am currently due to ill health still live with my ex wife until our house is sold we dont get on at all !
today i get a phone call from the new financial advisor from compass to say he reviewd my pensions after the meeting he had the other week ! i asked what meeting ! it turns out his tele department rang my home ,my ex wife made an appointment to see him . he's turned up a few days later ,my ex told him i wasnt well so couldn't attend the meeting and he has divulged all my info and left her my pension statements, at no point has he asked for proof of my wifes identity (she could have been the cleaner ) and he had never ever spoken to me and the pensions are in my name only i never gave him instructions to talk to her or anyone about my financial affairs . i am livid will be seeking expert advice but surely he has broken the data protection act by giving away my info
advice please
Thanks

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    probably yes

you can write and ask for compensation

explain that you were planning on cheating your wife so you will now suffer financial loss and hence the compensation
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    probably yes

you can write and ask for compensation

explain that you were planning on cheating your wife so you will now suffer financial loss and hence the compensation

Harsh but possibly not incorrect.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clapton was correct. See duplicate thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4065065
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • grazzzz
    grazzzz Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2012 at 3:48PM
    Options
    So i have spoken to the ICO who advise me that a breach of my personal info was committed and to discuss this first with the company !
    Rang them yesterday the managing director contacted me back ! he admitted it wasn't correct to give my details over to a third party however in his companies defense the info he had been given about our circumstances was that we had a "linked account as we had many years ago bought joint life insurance so his advisor presumed it was ok to talk to my ex about my personal pension and thinks his company has been decieved by her as she should have told them we are nearly divorced .
    Do you think this is a normal practise would you talk about someones affairs you had never met to a third party !
    As an example
    i still have a joint account at barclays which both of us pay money into just to pay the household bills as currently due to my illness we unfortunetly still live in the same house until its sold however i have 2 other accounts with barclays which are solely mine just because we had a linked account doesnt mean she can access the other 2 accounts at the bank surely the same principle applies !
    Remember i have never spoken to this company before i got the phonecall to say he had reviewed my pensions after the initial meeting with my ex without my permision and before that i had had no contact with my original financial advisor for 5 years (this company brought his cient list when he retired)
    Yet this guy came to my house discussed my pensions with her and left her 2 up to date statements !
    so what should i do next ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport