MSE News: Claims firms' lies on PPI revealed by building societies

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Claims firms' lies on PPI revealed by building societies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
12 replies 2.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
"Claims firms push through complaints on mis-selling from those who've never had PPI, a trade association says..."

Replies

• I referred my own case to HSBC 18 months ago and was told uncategorically that I didn't have PPI and they had destroyed all documents relating to the loans I enquired about as they were over 6 years old. I subsequently reopened the complaint when the FOS issued the "consumer questionnaire" providing details of what I could remember relating to my complaint. Surprise, surprise I've received an offer of over £1300 covering both accounts.

Although I would never use a CMC myself as I consider myself a bit more financially savvy, some people may have lost out by taking their banks' word at face value.

My question would be, how many banks are claiming "no PPI", as a stock response like mine, when in fact there IS/WAS PPI? Many of the claims within the industry are actually driven by the public who are enticed by the "no win no fee" offers. The average joe has nothing to lose and if someone else is willing to do the work for them, why not submit a claim on the offchance they might have PPI?

I think consumers have a lot to answer for and that is being lost in the sensationalist headlines where we're falling into the trap of looking for someone to blame other than ourselves. At some point, consumers need to take the blame for not investigating their own purchases BEFORE they part with cash!
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the claims within the industry are actually driven by the public who are enticed by the "no win no fee" offers. The average joe has nothing to lose and if someone else is willing to do the work for them, why not submit a claim on the offchance they might have PPI?

Why not ask the advised side of the industry rather than the sales side? Advised PPI complaints only account for 0.2% of PPI complaints at the FOS. So, its a tiny issue. Yet adviser firms are getting fraudulent complaints.

Unlike the banks which are faceless institutions, the advisers are individually regulated by the FSA and have to record complaints on their own personal file. Independents have to report it to their PI insurer (even if no grounds) and the PI insurance can then go up in price (just like no fault claims on car insurance). Also, independents will have to pay to have the complaint dealt with even if rejected.

Just last week there was media coverage about the impact fraudulent complaints are having on advised firms and how one adviser is now calling it a day because he was so shocked that consumers are willing to tell such lies to chase compensation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 9 July 2012 at 1:15PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 9 July 2012 at 1:15PM

Although I would never use a CMC myself as I consider myself a bit more financially savvy, some people may have lost out by taking their banks' word at face value.
    You think a CMC would be any different? A CMC would have taken the Bank's word at face value too.
    Your case was prior to the court hearing, when the Banks were doing their utmost to avoid paying anyone anything. It's a different story now, as you found out!

Well done on your success
  • burty8899burty8899 Forumite
    217 posts
    i think the £1300 is a standard offer used when theres no paperwork to back up any redress workings?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    burty8899 wrote: »
    i think the £1300 is a standard offer used when theres no paperwork to back up any redress workings?
    No, £1200 is a "goodwill" payment Banks sometimes offer if they uphold a complaint but there is no documentation to show what PPI was actually paid.
    217 posts
    ah, i was close then, i knew it was a standard offer for something :)
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ah, i was close then, i knew it was a standard offer for something :)
    No you weren't close, it's £1200 (not £1300) which is the standard amount!:p
    217 posts
    No you weren't close, it's £1200 (not £1300) which is the standard amount!:p

whats 100 quid between a bank and its customer ;) lol
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    whats 100 quid between a bank and its customer ;) lol
    Nothing. In fact HSBC gave me a further £200 because of a delay in paying out my redress!;)
  • You think a CMC would be any different? A CMC would have taken the Bank's word at face value too.
    Your case was prior to the court hearing, when the Banks were doing their utmost to avoid paying anyone anything. It's a different story now, as you found out!

Well done on your success

Having worked on both sides of the fence, yes, I can see the value that a CMC would have in a "genuine" claim. As comments below suggest, the offers many banks are making are "goodwill" offers, rather than actual full refunds. A decent CMC would not simply accept this offer. The problem is, as with many boom industries, there are too many companies giving the original firms a bad name, and the banks (in their desperation) are using them as a scapegoat for excusing their poor turnaround times and payouts.

On the other hand, CMCs are also clambering over one another to grab market share and are taking consumers at their word, rather than issuing a DSAR to confirm if PPI existed before investigating further.

I'm not in the least bit surprised to hear of people "faking" claims to get repaid money, we're turning into a nation of compo-culture consumers!