pension funds

Options
Hi, my partner has a pension that he opened about 10 years ago, he stopped paying into it when he became redundant and it has laid dormant ever since that was about 5 years ago. We could really do with the money now just to help us live tbh and was wondering if he could do anything to it, ie withdraw? Some people have told him he can, some say no, its all very confusing, he is 29 and I am 28. Any help or advice on this would be most grateful ;-) Thanks xxx

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This question is often asked - the answer is always the same - no access until age 55 at the earliest unless for very serious/terminal illness.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and it has laid dormant ever since

Pensions dont go dormant. They remain subject to investment returns of your chosen investments.
    Some people have told him he can

You cant. If you still dont believe us then ask these people who say you can how you can.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    minime1510 wrote: »
    Some people have told him he can,

Get them to read
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3447527
  • minime1510
    Options
    I aksed the question because I have no idea about pensions, in reply to your answers, Thankyou and I do believe you!!!!! When I said dormant I meant there was no money going into it. Also if "some" people tell me I can then surely I should investigate it further hence me coming to this site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure