Tesco - amending order (£2 each time)

Options
Hey,

Is anybody else being charged £2 each time they amend their online grocery order? I've shopped with Tesco many times before, but never been charged (Asda used to charge me £1 each time). I know I'll get the money back eventually, but it's frustrating seeing your bank balance go down each time you log in & amend your order :mad:

Comments

• cherie1122
    cherie1122 Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never noticed a charge for amending my orders and I shop online with Tesco every week

I usually book my slot and do my order at the beginning of the week and by the end of it I've amended it several times - adding stuff and removing other items - I've not been charged for doing that

If there was a charge I would stop shopping online
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey,

Is anybody else being charged £2 each time they amend their online grocery order? I've shopped with Tesco many times before, but never been charged (Asda used to charge me £1 each time). I know I'll get the money back eventually, but it's frustrating seeing your bank balance go down each time you log in & amend your order :mad:
    What kind of card do you use to do your orders? I ask as I have been getting pending debits on my Visa card, that never appear? So I'd been thinking that card had been compromised. Now I wonder if that happened to me. But it has never shown up in bank account as you say yours does.
  • Thanks. I use a Visa debit card too. It's never happened to me before with Tesco, but last night I checked my bank account online before & after I amended my order (twice) & my available balance had gone down £2 each time (pending amounts). I contacted Tesco this morning & they said we never charge to amend orders.....
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I contacted Tesco this morning & they said we never charge to amend orders.....

They don't charge for amending orders, but when you place an order and enter your card details they send a request for a £2 payment to your card. This is to check your card exists and it has money on it. They never actually take the £2, but some cards/banks ring fence the £2 so you can't use it. The ring fence expires after a couple of days and you get the use of your money back. This happens every time you amend an order too.

I don't think you can blame tesco for this as some cards/banks don't ring fence the money and others do. So It's your card/bank that is doing it.

It never happens with my debit card, but I used to have a paypal pre-paid card and even if I used the card in store my available balance would go down by £1 for 24 hours.

I think it's the banks/card provider using the request as an excuse to take the money from our account and put it into theirs to get the interest off it for a day or two.

There have even been people in here saying the entire cost of their shopping has been ring fenced, then Tesco canceled their order and they couldn't get their money for 7 days. Others have said they have had the total ring fenced then on the day of delivery tesco have taken the amount, but not the ring fenced money. So, in effect double the amount has gone from their account, although they do get the original ring fenced amount back after a time.

Tesco say it's the bank that does it, so they can't help, and the banks say it's tesco that does, so they can't help either.
  • Pink_elephants_n_lemonade
    Options
    Thanks, but how come it has never happened before with previous Tesco orders (same card, same bank, etc)? Will have to switch to Asda because I can't afford to have £2 'ring fenced' each time I amend my order :)
  • GinaG3
    GinaG3 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    The same happens with me, with every supermarket, asda being the worst. I have £1 held with asda after every amendment upto a maximum of £10. £2 with tesco to a maximum of £4. I pay with visa through my Lloyds account. Don't worry this money is only 'held' to make sure the card is chargeable. It will come back to you within 2-3 days after your shopping has been delivered.

One time I couldn't amend my order and my payment kept bouncing as my account was only £4 in credit as was waiting to get paid on the day my shopping was due, in this situation this system is annoying beyond believe, other than that it doesn't bother me. I'm never actually charged the monies. Needless to say, they wouldn't deliver my shopping. It was a frustrating day to say the least.
    The Year Of Dreams
    Big Love To All Comp Sharers

2012 Wins: iPad 2, Complete Cosy Tea Range, Bobbi Brown Mascara, Gillette Razor, £150 Designer Underwear, Limited Edition Dettol No Touch System
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, but how come it has never happened before with previous Tesco orders (same card, same bank, etc)? Will have to switch to Asda because I can't afford to have £2 'ring fenced' each time I amend my order :)

As others have said the £2 isn't actually " charged" .it is just set aside to check that the card being used is a valid one and it drops off a few days later as Tesco don't pursue the amount .
    As for Asda there are numerous complaints about them in a thread on the Which Forums about their practice which seems to be to reserve the first amount of the order but if you change the order they take the final amount but the original amount remains reserved and you only get that back a few days later ...This can be tricky if your bank balance is living on the edge so remember that if you switch to Asda

As and aside the final time for amending Tesco grocery orders has been changed from 04:00 AM to 23:46 Hrs PM the evening before your delivery .Dunno why they have done this .
  • fairclaire
    fairclaire Posts: 22,698 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with others who said the £2 is 'ringfenced' and therefore unavailable to you for a couple of days but if you check your bank a day or 2 after delivery the transaction disappears and the funds become available to you again. I always have this when I place my original order but have never had another £2 transaction for amendments. Maybe a glitch with the system.

I would also personally never do another online shop with asda after having experienced them having over £250 of my money over the Xmas period that I was unable to access. I placed order for my Christmas shop which totalled £252 something. The funds for this were taken/ ringfenced on my account. The day before delivery I added a loaf of bread increasing the total of my shop to £253 this amount was also taken due to the change. when I realised I had been effectively charged twice I rang them and was told that this was the only way their system could deal with changes to orders and it was tough basically. I was left with no money over Christmas as it took a week for the funds to be available in my account again. so be careful with asda if you make amendments to your order. I also believe this occurs if there is a change to pricing between ordering and delivery which is out of your control
  • tylers_mum
    tylers_mum Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    this happened to me with tesco about a month ago !!!!! whilst attempting to put an order through it kept coming up with system error message ? on the 3rd attempt i was finally given a cofirmation ref number , i got a phone call a few days later from my bank to say that i was overdrawn due to a dd been returned as unpaid due to unsuff funds ??????/ tesco had held 3 lots of £2 from my acc after lots of phone calls to tesco n the bank i finally got it sorted and a £40 credit to my tesco acc , tesco adv me that they had never had this issue before and they thought it was immpossible for there system to take more than 1 held payment per order ? obviously they can u need to contact cs x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure