2012 Games Train Tickets

Options
MaccaHallam
MaccaHallam Posts: 169 Forumite
First Post
edited 1 July 2012 at 10:33AM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
I'm trying to sort my transport into London for the games and I've seen they are doing special tickets with reduced fares. It says if you are an event ticket holder or a volunteer you can get these special fares.

It doesn't say however if you need to be attending an event that day to qualify for this. Can anyone clarify if you can travel on reduced fares even if you don't have a games ticket for that specific day?

Here's a link to the FAQ about it 2012 Games Trains FAQ

Comments

• pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi. I've got games train tickets, travelling down the day before and returning after the event. This is fine and very cheap. You get a travel card included for the day of the event too. It's a great deal.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • MaccaHallam
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, so it's fine to travel on theses fares even if you don't have a ticket for that day?

I need to collect some tickets in London and it's £8.90 normally or £2.30 with these special fares. You can tell which price I'd like to pay! :D
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    don't forget you can use whatever railcard you may have/may be eligible for to reduce the price even further on the games train ticket website.
  • pandora205
    Options
    You have to have tickets for the Olympics to use the cheap train tickets. It says in the blurb that they will check.
  • MaccaHallam
    First Post
    Options
    I know that but do the tickets have to be for that specific day?

For example I don't have tickets for the 27th but want to travel into London that day but I have a ticket for the 28th. Will that ticket allow me to travel on the cheaper fare?
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    I know that but do the tickets have to be for that specific day?

For example I don't have tickets for the 27th but want to travel into London that day but I have a ticket for the 28th. Will that ticket allow me to travel on the cheaper fare?
    From the FAQ:
    The bookable travel period will be from 18 July 2012 until 14 September 2012, to allow for those spectators who plan to arrive before the Games start, or slightly delay their return.
    Seems clear enough that your plan will work. I'm counting on it as that's what I'm doing!
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • pandora205
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm doing. Our games tickets are for 12th August but we are travelling on 11th. I've bought return tickets (out 11th back 12th). The actual day of the games comes with a free travelcard.

So you will be able to do what you are asking as long as you are buying return tickets.
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2012 at 5:54PM
    Options
    I've bought our rail tickets today. I tried a few permutations with railcards and was disappointed to note that not one journey was cheaper with a family & friends railcard. It was the same price for a F&F railcard as without. So I started trying Senior, 16-25, disabled etc. all came out cheaper. Am sad for families as that must be a big section of Olympic games travellers and their railcard isn't getting them a discount on most services. I was going to buy a F&F railcard but won't bother now. The outward journey only gave a discount for disabled railcard not for senior or 16-25 or F&F and the return journey gave a discount for 16-25, Senior and disabled but not F&F. Hope this helps people if considering paying out for a F&F railcard as its £28 so make sure it's giving you a reduction on the ticket price. You can get a F&F railcard for £14 of Tesco clubcard vouchers but you need to start ordering it now really so u get it in time. Cash price is £28 or the daily mail did a 50% off F&F railcard - pm me for the voucher code- but it wasn't worth the outlay for us as it didn't give any reduction on any of the train services I wanted to buy tickets for. U can also get senior and 16-25 railcards for £14 of tesco clubcard vouchers. Check u r getting a reduction on the fare before u outlay. Hope this helps someone.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    that is odd - I booked my train tickets for the paralympics athletics on Sunday, total £33 with delivery fee using my F&F railcard. Without a railcard, the price was over £60 (just checked again and its still the same prices).
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it odd too. I rang the train companies up but they say that not all services have a discount or a particular railcard. I guess I've chosen the most popular services. Glad it has given a reduction for you so it pays to compare & maybe go on an earlier or later service that does have a discount maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure