Why don't people own up...

edited 30 June 2012 at 6:28PM in Motoring
26 replies 2.4K views
adamc260adamc260 Forumite
2.1K Posts
edited 30 June 2012 at 6:28PM in Motoring
Walked to my car today as it was parked up, there was a car parked to the left of mine (and my friend was parked two spaces up on the right). I walked to the drivers side of my car, nattered to my friend, the red car reversed out and drove off... i got into my car and drove off also.

Got to the petrol station, walked around to the passenger side to fill up and noticed a dent on my door and red paint all down it... was from the woman parked next to me only minutes before. She'd just got into her car, must of smacked my door (probably due to the wind), saw me and drove off with me none the wiser as her car would of been blocking my view of the passenger side when walking to it originally.

Why can't people just own up if they cause damage, she could of clearly seen the damage she'd caused and now I'm the one who has to foot the bill

Lovely!

Replies

• adamc260 wrote: »
    Walked to my car today as it was parked up, there was a car parked to the left of mine (and my friend was parked two spaces up on the right). I walked to the drivers side of my car, nattered to my friend, got in and drove off....

Got to the petrol station, walked around to the passenger side to fill up and noticed a dent on my door and red paint all down it... was from the woman parked next to me only minutes before. She'd just got into her car, must of smacked my door (probably due to the wind), saw me and drove off with me none the wiser as her car would of been blocking my view of the passenger side when walking to it originally.

Why can't people just own up if they cause damage, she could of clearly seen the damage she'd caused and now I'm the one who has to foot the bill

Lovely!

May have smacked your car. You have no evidence she actually did.
  • adamc260adamc260 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Yeh your right, I have no evidence or any of her details but seems a big co-incidence that I walked out my house this morning (my front door faces the passenger side of my car)... no damage

Got to the resturant in an empty carpark, came out, red car next to my car that drives off... minutes later when i get out of my car at the petrol station I see red paint and a dent on my car.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any CCTV.

Hopefully she will also have a dent in the edge of her door and when she tries to open it it either wont, or it wont shut later.

They dont own up because they dont want a claim on thier insurance. Simple as that really
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • adamc260adamc260 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Oh yeh I defo know that.. just makes me sick she was sat feet away from me, could see me stood right next to my car talking and she just reverses out and drives off like nothing has happened!

To my knowledge there is no CCTV but im just gunna call the restaurant now.
  • adamc260 wrote: »
    Oh yeh I defo know that.. just makes me sick she was sat feet away from me, could see me stood right next to my car talking and she just reverses out and drives off like nothing has happened!

To my knowledge there is no CCTV but im just gunna call the restaurant now.

She's a woman and probably oblivious to the fact she's done it.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sgt_Pepper wrote: »
    She's a woman and probably oblivious to the fact she's done it.

Whoa............

Silly statement...............
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ParadigmParadigm Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    adamc260 wrote: »
    Why can't people just own up if they cause damage

Would you?
    Forget the "internet" morals, lets talk real life, if you thought you could get away with it & not involve your insurance (with all the crap that brings) would you stick a note on the windscreen? Or own up in the case you have stated?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • People do not stand up and admit wrongdoing because, like our leaders and betters who should set an example, they have no honour, the only thing they value, indeed worship, is money and the trappings it brings.
  • edited 30 June 2012 at 8:17PM
    adamc260adamc260 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    edited 30 June 2012 at 8:17PM
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Would you?
    Forget the "internet" morals, lets talk real life, if you thought you could get away with it & not involve your insurance (with all the crap that brings) would you stick a note on the windscreen? Or own up in the case you have stated?

I have done... I knocked someones car before going back a few years in an asda car park and left my details for them. They called me and said it was minor and not to worry about it. I've also had my car hit before under similar circumstances and told the other person not to worry as it was a tiny scuff on black plastic. The difference here is this car cost me almost 10k, I bought it outright and there was not a mark on it and now there's a nice dent in my door and red paint all down it.

It's also not internet morals... it's just morals in general! If you damage someones property have the decency to own up for it, not everyone is out to screw you over or make a quick buck! I get what you mean, people thinking 'Oh I can get away with it and not have to worry' but if everyone thought like that where would we be!?

Also, this person was sat only feet away from me at the time in her car, I was stood on the other side of my car talking completely unaware and she could of had any opportunity to open her door/window and say 'Sorry, I just hit your door, here are my details' but didnt, instead she drove off because in her eyes 'she got away with it' or as others have said 'she didnt know' but its a pretty big dent so how she wouldn't have noticed that happening is beyond me.
  • ParadigmParadigm Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have done... I knocked someones car before going back a few years in an asda car park and left my details for them.

A big thumbs up then :T Bet you don't next time!
    It's also not internet morals... it's just morals in general! If you damage someones property have the decency to own up for it, not everyone is out to screw you over or make a quick buck! I get what you mean, people thinking 'Oh I can get away with it and not have to worry' but if everyone thought like that where would we be!?

Maybe I'm a cynic when it comes to the internet but with everone professing to be the worlds best driver I wonder......
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides