Advice on stolen phone

Hi
Yesterday we took out a phone contract on an iPhone 4s for my step daughter when we got home we found out that her mum had already got her a new handset with payg sim. So we have given her the sim and will pay this each month as planned however as we no longer needed the phone we put it on gumtree for 300 quid. Got a buyer and they gave us cash. Anyway have done the shopping been to the pub etc and basically spent 150 of the cash. I went to Put the rest in the bank and it was Then i was told the money was fake the bank kept the money and i took the last bit I had straight to the police got to give a full statement on Monday.
Anyway the phone had insurance so where do i stand can I claim or should I have not sold it in the first place? Feel very angry at being conned but other than reporting it i guess there is nothing more I can do? I feel terrible that all our shopping yesterday was paid for with fake money.....will not be using gumtree ever again to sell things!
Thanks

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Claiming on insurance? always tell the absolute truth.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bextas
    bextas Posts: 77 Forumite
    But won't my insurance be invalid as I sold the phone on?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Insurance wont cover it as you voluntarly gave the phone up, report it to the network to bar it though
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • chanz4 wrote: »
    Insurance wont cover it as you voluntarly gave the phone up, report it to the network to bar it though
    Definately what chanz4 said, get it barred asap if you haven't already..
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure