We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is It Just Me?

Options

Comments

• leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd hope that they could meet the Queen and deal with the flooding in the same day. We had a myriad of politicians on our street on Thursday.
    Stercus accidit
  • A.L.D.A
    A.L.D.A Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    If it makes them all feel important then I am happy. They can go on and on about what they are doing, beats some of the possible alternatives.

What really gets under my skin is the Assembly, government without opposition. A government where they all shuffle chairs after an election.
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
  • jeffer
    jeffer Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Old_Git wrote: »
    Do you think the queen would have been welcome in Newry ,Armagh or Dungannon .

Dungannon probably yes (there is a sizeable Unionist population there), the other two very likely not.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :j

Well yes. Armagh (the city that is) has a big historic royal connection with the Dungannon Royal school. Perhaps Newry not so mixed but has historic port, town hall and canal etc. Dangannon also fairly mixed as others have said.
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    A.L.D.A wrote: »
    What really gets under my skin is the Assembly, government without opposition. A government where they all shuffle chairs after an election.

Although that is the proper way to run a country or assembly in our case, not one person or party in Stormont could run a country if they were given the chance. Put any of them in the Dail or Westminster and they wouldn't do any better, in fact i think they'd put both countries in worse affairs.
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options

Yes if her face was on notes with a big £10 stuck beside it..... ;)
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • dazb75
    dazb75 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    leftieM wrote: »
    Sectarianism infuses every corner of this society. At least the politicians etc are trying a top-down approach to eradicating it.

While we still have political parties who, mostly, represent a religion, we cannot say that our leaders are really trying to eradicate sectarianism.

At the next election, I'd like to see some of them stand as independent, and let's see if they get elected on the basis of being a good politician with policies that we all care about.
  • shaz77_2
    shaz77_2 Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Options
    dazb75 wrote: »
    While we still have political parties who, mostly, represent a religion, we cannot say that our leaders are really trying to eradicate sectarianism.

At the next election, I'd like to see some of them stand as independent, and let's see if they get elected on the basis of being a good politician with policies that we all care about.

Alliance have tried that and have not made any inroads; in fact there is some evidence to support the view that some people are turned off politics simply because they believe their party/side has not done enough for them in terms of protecting their religion etc - so where do politicians go from there?
  • gerdo
    gerdo Posts: 190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think we're all deluded if we think that our problems are firmly in the past. They're only just under the surface and could boil over again at any time.

As long as we continue to vote for our politicians based on what side we're on, that'll continue to be the case.

And as long as we still have numpties like this around, we're not out of the woods yet.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/school-demands-direct-apology-for-frazerrsquos-flag-slur-16160532.html
  • A.L.D.A
    A.L.D.A Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    Pretani wrote: »
    Although that is the proper way to run a country or assembly in our case, not one person or party in Stormont could run a country if they were given the chance. Put any of them in the Dail or Westminster and they wouldn't do any better, in fact i think they'd put both countries in worse affairs.

But surely lack of proper checks is part of that problem and helps reduce standards. We could have a power sharing government with SF and the DUP and the rest in opposition. It would (should) soon make them all more directly accountable for the decisions made.
    [STRIKE]Less is more.[/STRIKE] No less is Less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport