handling the emotional rollercoaster!

Options
Hi All

So cant believe a month has passed already since I was declared BR, there are some days where I feel such a huge sense of relief then other days where youre filled with such guilt/upset/sadness you name it, its there! Today I received a series of emails from a creditor (a family member believe it or not) telling me they hope my life is in tatters and they are glad this has happened as it means we dont have to have dealings again (I was paying them back under a court order) This really upset me, I didnt do anything out of spite or with unwillingness to pay and its really knocked me for six when everyone else has been fine. Im sure it gets better in time and I have referred the family member to the OR but it doesnt take away the shame and remorse I feel.

I am sure im not alone here, just wanted to sound off to people who probably can relate to it!

Comments

• debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    Options
    unfortunately family and friends creditors can be the worst as they tend to believe that you owe them something more than just the money
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • uptheanti
    uptheanti Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    i know what you mean has been an emotional time for me too still get little feelings of oh god what have i done im sure it will get better and the fact we feel bad makes us good people otherwise we wouldn't care sorry to hear about your relative but be sure better times will come i try to keep saying to myself that its not the worst thing you can go through in life and an old boss used to say to me when i messed up nobody died and nobody got pregnant so its not that bad. good luck anyway
  • unhappytinkerbell
    Options
    I know and I understand they will feel more emotional and express this but it's huge going BR without people emotionally bullying you, guess I should just ignore
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    aw that's hard. Hard too for the family member, will you pay them back one day when you can? Maybe if they know that it would help.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • unhappytinkerbell
    Options
    Problem is pippaGirl the money was early inheritance and then my father remarried and decided he wanted it back so it's been a hugely emotional situation, not sure now what I would do in the future!
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    oh so it was never a loan then! That's totally different, you can't take a gift back!
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • unhappytinkerbell
    Options
    I know! Shocking that my own father took me to court when he knew I was struggling anyway and then to send me abusive emails today!!
  • rossireps
    rossireps Posts: 721 Forumite
    Options
    block the emails and ignore and yes i know thats easier said than done.
    i promise it does get better much better.
    James tucker
    Flight 705 My hero :)
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't know what DI thinks but it may be worth sending this on to the OR as he is a creditor and he is sending you abusive mail and if this was a liscenced operator I know the OR would intervene.

Debt Info what do you think?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • iquit
    iquit Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So sorry to hear what you're going through. Stay strong, I hope things get better for you.
    2019 MFW No. 74 £13700/£30000 (45.66%)
    12k in 2018 No. 98 £6274.19/£18000 (34.85%)

BTL (start) £97440.00 (current) £68000.00
    Residential (start) £275000.00 (current) £268000.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family