Feedback needed on a shop idea pls?

ATTENTION: Please can I have some feedback???

I know someone who is planning on opening a shop, that will sell pre-loved Bridal Gowns, Mother - of - the -Bride etc. and Prom dresses. She is also thinking of adding accessories, ie jewerley, tiaras, plates, candlesticks, centrepieces etc. These items will come from people that have had weddings/proms etc and have bought them, no longer have use for them so want to sell them on. This will work on a 50/50 basis. similar to the kiddies shops you see. I would be really grateful if you could leave some feedback, as to whether you think this is a good idea? Many thanks!! xxx

Comments

• killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There was a show as part of a series about a bridal shop a few months ago. It said that presentation in a bridal shop is key.

Apparently, shopping for the wedding dress is an experience in itself and so the shop should reflect that. Having the accessories to accompany would be advantageous in this respect because then a bride could try and buy the ensemble. I imagine that just because it's a second hand shop, a bride would expect the same atmosphere so I'm not sure how one shop could fulfil all the expectations?

If this isn't so bold, perhaps it would be best to ask those in the wedding subforum as they would be more likely to know what they're talking about.
    I'm sorry for not being more help, I'm one of those girls who have no interest in weddings :o I'm just interested in the business aspect of such things.
  • I personally think it is a great idea because money is tight. As long as the dresses etc are in good nick. Theme it more like a vintage shop with chandeliers etc and have 'posh' fitting rooms. Out fits for ladies days would work well maybe? Good luck with it!
  • Steve07
    Steve07 Posts: 6 Forumite
    There is absolutely demand -- to wit, here is a well known web store in the US that offers a similar service: preownedweddingdresses dot com
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ~There is a demand but I think your shop has to look top class to entice in brides.

I would say there is a limit on how much someone would pay for a second hand wedding dress - possibly £500 but they would expect the dress to have cost in excess of £1500, will someone be happy for you to give them £250 for their dress? I'm guessing for 2nd hand wedding dresses people are looking to pay about £2-300.

Who will pay for cleaning?
    Who will pay for alterations?

Prom dresses - my DD wouldn't have considered second hand unless she knew who it came from. We have an electronic bulletin board in work and there are loads of adverts for £400+ prom dresses that they want first about £200 for before dropping to below £100. Never known anyone buy one though.

Personally I think wedding outfits would be more of a success, not just for mother of the bride but for all guests. Think of including mens suits too.

You would also probably do well if you could get sets of bridemaids dresses. Brides may not wear second hand but they would think them okay for their bridesmaids :)

The bridal table accessories I think most brides will look Ebay
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Steve07 wrote: »
    There is absolutely demand -- to wit, here is a well known web store in the US that offers a similar service: preownedweddingdresses dot com

but on that site you list your dress for $25 so whatever it sells for you get. The shop wouldn't work on that basis.

Nice site though with brand new dress for $150
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • redsaxon
    redsaxon Posts: 162 Forumite
    In the town i live in we have an identical shop to what your suggesting theres also a seperate mens hire shop/ limo hire and a small boutique that makes tiaras/place settings etc as well as a small cake "academy" all seem to do quite good business and some have been established over 15 years
    Dont know if this is because of there close proximity to each other but i can tell you that there all closed when theres a wedding fare on lol.
    :beer:
  • whitelabel
    whitelabel Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    would they not be closed because they are displaying at the fayre instead ?
  • ally101
    ally101 Posts: 23 Forumite
    i think it sounds like a really good idea but i would still post on the wedding forum to get more specific feedback, everybody on there is really nice. with money so tight for most people budget weddings are becoming the norm and i know i wont be spending £1000's on a dress i will only wear once. i have a limit of £200 and if i can find one cheaper i will!.
    wedding planning again, this time nothing will stop me :-):A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport