Would you avoid tax if you could?

12346»

Comments

• zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2012 at 12:58AM
    SINBAD wrote: »
    Cameron's father made all of his cash setting up tax avoidance schemes in Geneva, Panama, and Jersey. Probably paid for his son's Eton education. We're all in this together. Yeah bloody right!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/20/cameron-family-tax-havens
    At the time of his death in late 2010, Ian Cameron left a fortune of £2.74m in his will, from which David Cameron received the sum of £300,000.
    A tidy sum of cash, but not what I would call a fortune.
    The structure employed by Cameron senior is now commonplace among modern hedge funds, which argue that offshore status can help attract international investors.
    So, everybody's at it.
    UK residents would ordinarily have to pay tax on any profits they repatriated, and there is nothing to suggest the Camerons did not.
    And, it seems, they paid their dues.

Would you really have wanted to attend Eton? I won a scholarship to 2 eminent public schools. My parents asked if I wanted to go and I said no. Things may have turned out differently if I'd said yes but, personally, I think I made the right call.

I have a friend who went to Gordonstoun (where Prince Charles went). He slept on a mattress on the floor in a room with no heating, but he had some good holidays with his family in the Highlands.
    He was unemployed for almost 6 years and now does an average office job, the same as most of us.

It's not a guaranteed passport to success.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    I never used to pay tax or should i say i paid it then claimed it all back as i spent over 180 days out of the country... Those were the rules...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Harry_Flashman
    Harry_Flashman Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    Oh do get real everyone. Think of all the money sent overseas - it dwarfs that which is not collected from the likes of me.

I won't pay a penny i don't have to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport