PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Padding out meals

Options

Comments

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I use a lot of quorn mince or pieces to make things vegetarian (and free on a green day at Slimming World :rolleyes:).

Red lentils can be added to mince to bulk it out, along with other veg (onion, mushrooms, peas, green beans, soya beans...), grated carrot, porridge oats and soya.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi superstylin,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together. This thread may give you some ideas too:

Bulking out Meals?

Pink
  • Lazy_Ike
    Options
    2 (or 3 with that quantity to start with) Weatabix thickens, adds fibre, and pads out, while totally 'disappearing' into mix, and no alteration to flavour etc.
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
  • trinity_bleu
    Options
    have left a casserole dish in the oven with spag bol in ... cooked the mince off last night to ensure I didn't poison my 18 month old and have thrown in a handful of lentils and oats.

Haven't told OH about those ... have left it on 150 degs for 3 hours ... do you think that's enough for them to disappear ? Added grated carrot too and told him it was to boost the baby's veg intake, but really it was to try and disguise any resilient lentils !

They'll be having it before I get home so am praying it's worked ... wish me luck ! can't get my mind off it ... our finances really need this to work !
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Options
    well seeing as i'm guessing it'll be a toss-up between him eating it, or having to cook something else for himself, I'd bet that he'll manage to force it down....! ;)
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi trinity,

It should be fine. The lentils and oats will cook into the dish nicely in that time. We have an earlier thread on bulking out meals so I'll add your post to that one to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • trinity_bleu
    Options
    BB1984 wrote: »
    well seeing as i'm guessing it'll be a toss-up between him eating it, or having to cook something else for himself, I'd bet that he'll manage to force it down....! ;)

or in his case, he's shun it in favour of a mayo sandwich :rolleyes:

forgot to add that I've smashed the lid of my big casserole dish, so it's got a too small lid and foil over it. oh, I am such a worry wart !

and thanks, Pink. off to read the rest of this thread ... :D
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Try mushrooms, peppers and sweetcorn
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • CravingSaving
    Options
    I made a huge batch of bolognese/shepherds pie mix tonight using...

250g minced beef
    half red onion (feeling sorry for itself in bottom of fridge)
    2 handfuls of red lentils
    handful of porridge oats
    finely grated carrot
    finely grated parsnip
    large dollop of home made hommous
    stock cube
    splosh of worcester sauce
    3/4 pint of water
    big squeeze of tomato puree
    half a tin of leftover baked beans - blitzed in the blender to hide them from kids!!

This was enough for 3 spag bols, one topping for jacket potato and have enough left over to make a family sized shepherds pie tomorrow, will add some frozen peas to it as I am feeling adventurous!
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I use soya mince, it is invisible if you use 50 grams to every 500 grams.

I also use Bovril cubes as they give a great meaty flavour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure