MSE News: Bank funding scheme unveiled to aid household lending

Options
"Bank of England governor Sir Mervyn King and the Chancellor are working together on a 'funding for lending' project ..."

Comments

• PaulChelt
    PaulChelt Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just give £1,230 to every man, woman and child. That would be better received.
  • Jonee
    Jonee Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    We don`t want or need to borrow anymore money...we need more money in our pay packets....simple.... :)
  • lradders
    Options
    Does this apply to a loan I'm needing for household improvements....not going to start a business or anything?

Thanks for any advice.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    More stupid stimulus prolonging the problem putting tax payers at more risk. Please stop this I don't want to keep seeing the smug Ed Balls on my tele any more

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNaBIrC1N3F_8wTzaiV5hTszKPFmt3eeREUT5M2g-lwa1of2Sy.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this is a smoke and mirriors approach ask me this ybs has raised exsiting customers mortgages twice in the last six months for remortgage deals other banks have been raising o/d rates and so on, their is no way the banks are going to help the stalled economy well ok the in reverse economy all they are going to do is store more of this q/e and have more lavish bonuses and garden party's I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THIS COALITION GET KICKED INTO THE LONG GRASS
  • luckyc_2
    luckyc_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    This may sound like a silly question, but Ive often wondered what would happen if the government suddenly announced that everybodys credit card, overdraft and loan was wiped clean with nothing else to pay except your mortgage instead of them giving the money to bail out the banks.
    Im certainly not saying that would ever happen but i get these odd thoughts rattling around once in a while. Lol
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    A tiny fraction of 80 billion would build enough houses to eliminate the housing shortage, making houses lots more affordable directly.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luckyc wrote: »
    This may sound like a silly question, but Ive often wondered what would happen if the government suddenly announced that everybodys credit card, overdraft and loan was wiped clean with nothing else to pay except your mortgage instead of them giving the money to bail out the banks.
    Im certainly not saying that would ever happen but i get these odd thoughts rattling around once in a while. Lol

Moral hazard.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    A tiny fraction of 80 billion would build enough houses to eliminate the housing shortage, making houses lots more affordable directly.

Possibly but would this automatically reduce house prices, which is the main problem ie affordability.

Rule of thumb for new houses has always been a third is land costs, a third is build costs and the final third is financing and profit, if the land costs were reduced radically, by making this a condition of the planning permission then this may help.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    So the government want to lend tax payers money to the banks at low interest rates, so that the banks can lend it back to taxpayers i.e small businesses and home buyers at a higher interest rate, therefore increasing debt, isn't that what got us into this mess in the first place along with greedy unscrupulous banksters.
    What is more likely is that the banks will do exactly what they did the last time and stop lending - they will just use it to buffer the losses that they will incur as each Euro bailout defaults and of course still award themselves huge bonuses.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills