Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

'Don't buy a HD Ready telly thinking it's high-definition – it's not' blog discussion

edited 29 May 2012 at 6:02PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
37 replies 9.4K views
124»

Replies

• Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess full HD is similar to 3D, you have to ask yourself how much will you use it.

I know I get a lot of use out of the full HD and 3D features on my TV yet my parents are fine with there 32" HD ready set as the only thing it gets is occasional usage of the freeview HD channels.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • edited 8 June 2012 at 1:20AM
    Derek55Derek55 Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 8 June 2012 at 1:20AM
    I have read all the comments here and Martin's original but am still totally confused - maybe it's an age thing!

Aldi had an offer on today (7th June 2012) of a 40 inch LCD TV. Their web site and their weekly leaflet/booklet of forthcoming offers both said it was (quote) a "Full HD 1080" TV. I was up at the crack of dawn and queueing outside the shop at 8am to buy one but then in store the actual box said (quote) 'HD Ready' so I did not buy one based on what I had read earlier. The TV was according to the box made in Slovakia so maybe Full HD and HD Ready mean the same there or maybe Aldi got their brochure and on-line advertising wrong - I just don't know. What I do know is that I am still without a decent TV.

Usually such offers go within minutes at Aldi hence the 8am start but tonight the store still had 5 of the original 6 that were for sale. Still I suppose I can manage with my old black and white, valve driven, 405 line 12 inch Ecko TV in a bakelite shell for now! I said it may be an age thing?!?
  • lincoln_djlincoln_dj Forumite
    28 Posts
    My guess would be that it wasn't full 1080p

the ad just said 1080, so this probably meant 1080i, which is very marginally better than 720p (i think it uses 720 signal and guesses the rest to make up to 1080 rows...)
  • just getting away from HD and turning to Sky for a while. who thinks its ok for sky to remove the ability to pause and rewind and record from your sky plus box just because you have unsubscribed, after all you have purchased the box from them within your subsriptions and at that time the box has technical ability to have all thes functions so why should SKY block them. If I bought a freesat box with the ability to have all these fuctions would it be right for the retailer to remove them after I finished paying for it????:mad:
  • TropiTropi Forumite
    6 Posts
    The proper answer to this scandalously misleading type of description is to forbid the use of UNDEFINED (and therefore virtually meaningless) terms altogether. The honest answer would have been, and still is, to require the compulsory use of the ACTUAL NUMERIC resolution in the description. In this case it would be either HD 720 or HD 1080, where the numbers really do tell you the very great and distinct difference between the two standards. The scandalous disgrace lies in the deliberate deception of using "HD" in both terms. It was a despicable ploy (largely very successful) to convince a very confused and ill-informed public that there was no difference in ultimate capability, merely needing some add on to upgrade "HD Ready" into “Full HD”. This was never true. It never will be true. It is as close to a lie as is possible without actually being one. It is one of the most shameful deliberate deceptions ever perpetrated on an ill-informed public. Mind you, the current use of "4K" and UHD may well surpass it for shameful, cunning underhandedness.
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    just getting away from HD and turning to Sky for a while. who thinks its ok for sky to remove the ability to pause and rewind and record from your sky plus box just because you have unsubscribed, after all you have purchased the box from them within your subsriptions and at that time the box has technical ability to have all thes functions so why should SKY block them. If I bought a freesat box with the ability to have all these fuctions would it be right for the retailer to remove them after I finished paying for it????:mad:
    I think ninety-nine percent of people think it is okay. What is your preference? They charge you an additional £25 termination fee so a courier can take it back to them or they bill you £250 for the box or they extend minimum contract lengths to five years?
  • real1314real1314 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Old thread. Don't think there's much point debating with a poster who only ever made a single posting.
This discussion has been closed.