Mis sold PPI on mortgage

Options
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me please. I received a letter last week from lloyds tsb saying that a mortgage I had 7 years ago had an over payment on the policy and I was due a refund. I have since rung Lloyds TSB and raised a complaint as I wasn't aware I even had PPI on the mortgage. I have been a Lloyds mortgage customer for the past 12 years on 3 different mortgages but this particular mortgage was for £100k and I was only in the property 2-3 years. They are saying when the mortgage got paid off I made an over payment so I am awaiting the reund on that but does anyone know if I have a valid case for Mis sold ppi and an estimate as to how much I'll get back?
Thanks, Kelly

Comments

• mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    Options
    What does your original paperwork say? You did read it, didn't you?
  • Rubyred2005
    Options
    I was never aware that they had added it on. I never take out insurance on loans, mortgages etc so I know even if they had asked I would have said no to it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was never aware that they had added it on.

They dont. Lloyds retail MPPI as a standalone product and payment and do not add it to the mortgage.
    does anyone know if I have a valid case for Mis sold ppi

What is your reason for complaint as you havent given one so far?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Rubyred2005
    Options
    My complaint is that until friday just gone, I wasn't aware that I had payment protection. I have never asked for it, it was not discussed as far as I can remember and even if it was I wouldn't take it out.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    My complaint is that until friday just gone, I wasn't aware that I had payment protection.

What evidence do you have to support that allegation? - its an easy allegation to make but not one that is easy to prove.
    I have never asked for it, it was not discussed as far as I can remember and even if it was I wouldn't take it out.

So, when it was deducted from your current account statement each month, why did you not complain then?

Is this a mortgage or a loan? You say mortgage but the issue doesnt sit right with how they do their mortgages and how they set up MPPI. You can complain of course but something doesnt add up here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Rubyred2005
    Options
    And what evidence do they have to suggest that I did want it? Not being funny but I am simply asking a question and whilst I may not be able to prove it, I assure you I didn't request it. Also, with regard to your comment about why I didn't complain when it was being deducted, I have checked my statements and no where can I find any separate payments for ppi!
  • dunstonh
    Options
    And what evidence do they have to suggest that I did want it?

They dont have to prove that. He who asserts must prove.
    Not being funny but I am simply asking a question and whilst I may not be able to prove it, I assure you I didn't request it.

I am not judging you. Maybe you didnt request it. Maybe you did and your forgot. Maybe they did wrong. However, verbal allegations with no evidence are the weakest complaint to make. We had a post in this section just today where someone got rejected by the FOS in a similar situation as they couldnt prove it.
    Also, with regard to your comment about why I didn't complain when it was being deducted, I have checked my statements and no where can I find any separate payments for ppi!

So, are you sure you actually had it? MPPI from Lloyds has been deducted by direct debit from current accounts for at least 15 years. That is why it seems a bit strange that you say you didnt know you had and couldnt find any payments.
  • Rubyred2005
    Options
    That's why I am so confused by it, I have no records of having ppi yet the letter from lloyds tsb that I received last Friday states that I have made an over payment and am due a refund. I have rung lloyds to confirm the policy number they have put on the letter and had to ask them what mortgage it related to because I have never had ppi well not intenionally! They confirmed it was my 2nd property and when the mortgage was cleared I had made an over payment. Sorry to bite but I can assure you I never requested it and didn't know I had it. Whether I can peruse us another matter
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am confused.

You say overpayment, an overpayment is an over payment.

PPI is surely something completely different, does it actually have the term PPI in the letter or just overpayment. Are you actually sure you had PPI.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Rubyred2005
    Options
    An overpayment of a payment protection policy I didnt know I had. And generally it is someone else's fault when you know nothing about it??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure