PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dingy white poly/cotton pillowcases

Options
My dear OH dribbles in his sleep. I have some 'white' poly/cotton pillowcases (nice J Lewis ones) which I have been using as underpillowcases. But they are so badly stained now that I may have to chuck them. I have tried soaking in Vanish and also bio powders. I have tried several 60 degree washes (tho not a 90 since they're poly mix) but they are still slightly brownish and dingy in the middle. I have left them on the line overnight (my Mum's very good trick) but even that didn't work. I can get his top ones nice and clean by doing a 90 degree wash as they are cotton. Does anyone have any ideas about how to make poly cotton nice and white again ?

Comments

• Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about a soak in a mild bleach solution and maybe some Glo white brightener afterwards? On;y ever used the latter on nets but it might work on poly cotton too.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I second bleach - nothing to lose!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought bleach discoloured the "poly" part of poly-cotton. Also thought that poly-cotton discolours over time, anyway ....?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • natbags
    natbags Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Napisan, works great. I just give it a soak in Napisan solution, then later add to a 'lights' load
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure