Michaela McAreavey murder trial - disgusted!

wanchai_2
wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
It's very upsetting to read the accounts of this trial, the lawyers seem to have no respect whatsoever for the families - laughing, making filthy jokes etc with her brother and SIL sitting in the gallery. I can't imagine how they (and John) must feel - and her family watching this at home.

It's just beyond belief.

:(
7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "It takes a long time to learn that a courtroom is the last place in the world for learning the truth."

Alice Koller
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is all down to courtroom standards - theirs are obviously quite low. It will be more important that they reach the correct verdicts - though the investigation seems to have been carried out by the Keystone cops, contamination of and failure to secure the crime scene.
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    I totally agree wanchai but the job of the defence barristers is to try to present "reasonable doubt" and the most obvious way to do this is to try to present a scenario that convinces the jury that someone else may have carried out the murder.

Sadly this was always going to happen and the most plausible target was always the husband, the person who found the body and raised the alarm. Don't think for a minute that the McAreavey and Harte families were not prepared for this, even if it is still upsetting for them.

Even knowing this though the news reports still made me angry on Friday. I just pray that the jury can see through such obvious tactics.
  • whiteside
    whiteside Posts: 39 Forumite
    Very strange system I agree. However considering we in Northern Ireland let out mass killers after a few years due to the good Friday agreement I'm not sure we can say much as I'm sure other countries would find what we did bizarre. The law is obviously an a*s in other countries as well as our own. Rip Michaela. Hopefully your killer will rot.
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    I dont think we should be discussing it here .Any off the family could be on here .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • wanchai_2
    I totally agree wanchai but the job of the defence barristers is to try to present "reasonable doubt" and the most obvious way to do this is to try to present a scenario that convinces the jury that someone else may have carried out the murder.
    Sadly this was always going to happen and the most plausible target was always the husband, the person who found the body and raised the alarm. Don't think for a minute that the McAreavey and Harte families were not prepared for this, even if it is still upsetting for them.
    Even knowing this though the news reports still made me angry on Friday. I just pray that the jury can see through such obvious tactics.

I agree with you. I know that they will try to present reasonable doubt and persuade the jury that it may have been committed by someone else, but it's the cheap laughs, the lewd jokes ('Size matters' etc) and the comedian antic of the lawyers that really upsets me. The courtroom is, by all accounts, resounding with laughter and titters. I doubt if the families were prepared for that - they seem deeply shocked :( Can't they at least have enough respect to keep it solemn and serious???
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • wanchai_2
    Old Git - fair point. I guess that they are unlikely to read this, but if they do I hope that they will see that there is genuine sympathy for them on here, and that they are in the thoughts and prayers of others.

xx
  • casey_junior
    casey_junior Posts: 178 Forumite
    I'm sure that we all have sympathy for the bereaved's family, but could we please keep this forum for consumer problems only, which is the purpose for the forum.
    Off topic subjects can be discussed on Money Savers Arms,
  • waltsalt
    waltsalt Posts: 271 Forumite
    I don't think this forum is just for consumer problems.

Plus there was no further discussion on this thread since last Monday until you decided to resurrect it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure