MFW for 2021

asc99c
asc99c Posts: 134 Forumite
edited 26 May 2012 at 10:32AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Spent a bit of time reading the posts on here the past week, and finally got the motivation to actually call the mortgage company. My MFW journey starts today!

I'm currently 31, and my aim is to clear the mortgage by age 40. Unfortunately, we bought our house late 2007, so it's a big mortgage to get through. Shortly after moving in we had our daughter and my wife gave up work, and we've now got a son as well, so until now, we've just been making the standard repayments.

We've now dropped onto Nationwide's base mortgage rate which is max 2% over base rate - so currently 2.5%, so I want to start clearing the mortgage before rates go up.

Remaining mortgage: £209,000 (house value now ~239k)
Remaining term: 20.5 years
Standard monthly payment: £1085

Rang up Nationwide, and as of June, I'm paying £1500 / month in to the mortgage. That will reduce the term to around 14 years, but since my aim is 9 years I'll need to do more in the future. Hopefully this MFW diary will motivate and remind me!

Comments

• asc99c
    First overpayment has been made ouch :)

Feels good but going to have to get used to having a lot less money.
  • asc99c
    Just over one year gone, mortgage balance is now showing as £193k.

As of next month, will be upping the repayments to £1600, getting a bit closer to the aim...
  • Well done you ;) And congrats on being so consistent in paying off your mortgage for the past month! May I suggest you post monthly after every overpayment so we can virtually support you in your journey?!

I found it good to see what the cost of my mortgage dropped to, every time I overpaid - How much would is it npw per month?

If you started out at a Standard monthly payment: £1085

it now must be something like £950 a month? Good overpaying indeed.
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • asc99c
    Thankyou and good to have support from someone who's been through it!

I'll try to post more often in future. Will have more updates coming, as my wife should be able to start earning some money again in September when the youngest starts nursery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure