£62 a month PPI

Options
snakey_2
snakey_2 Posts: 76 Forumite
friend of mine has decided to take £14000 loan or so to consolidate her debts. she has borrowed over 5 years. This is with HSBC and has been offered 9.9% apr. However with this HSBC insisted she must have the PPI. Her payments are around £355 a month...but £62 of this is PPI! She has 30 days to cancel the PPI as of Friday just gone. I have insisted she does cancel the PPI as this is alot! However she is concerned about doing this....what are her options? Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Comments

• sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://www.freeinsuranceuk.com will insure her for a LOT less £18.56 pm.
    It pays to challenge
  • Justin_Credit
    Options
    Wow, that's a mighty £3720 in PPI charges over the 5 year term, money that would be far better spent on reducing the current debt.

For any help or advice on her options perhaps, with her permission, you could post details of her current debts, the amounts and the APR's. Then some of the regulars, who are far more experienced than I, would be able to offer some alternatives to the consolidation loan route.

Regards

JC
  • snakey_2
    Options
    sabelu wrote:
    https://www.freeinsuranceuk.com will insure her for a LOT less £18.56 pm.

thanks for this...just looking into it!
  • snakey_2
    Options
    Wow, that's a mighty £3720 in PPI charges over the 5 year term, money that would be far better spent on reducing the current debt.

For any help or advice on her options perhaps, with her permission, you could post details of her current debts, the amounts and the APR's. Then some of the regulars, who are far more experienced than I, would be able to offer some alternatives to the consolidation loan route.

Regards

JC

tell me about it but she wont listen. Thing is now she has signed n agreement for the loan, but they have told her she has got upto 30 days to cancel the PPI. Also with her cred rating I would be surprised if anyone else gave her credit!

Many thanks for your time!
  • JULIE
    JULIE Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    We're in the same situation with HSBC too :mad: Hubby went into the branch to cancel the PPI and was told that he would have to cancel the existing loan then reapply for a new one, which seems bl**dy risky to me as what would happen if they refused us on the second application :confused: they've got us over a barrel
    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...
    until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
  • cheeky
    cheeky Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it in the terms and conditions that if you cancel the insurance in the cooling off period, they can cancel the loan?? Or the loan is only valid if you take on the PPI??
  • JULIE
    JULIE Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    no... but now we're just outside the cooling off period....we took it out thinking it would be a good idea (it was hubby that actually spoke and arranged it all) then I read :money: Martin's book about PPI and equally shocked when paperwork came through with breakdown of interest etc etc...when hubby initially phoned to cancel I think it was a day or two outside the cooling off period(which admittedly isn't their fault),that's when they told him to go into the branch..in turn telling him he'd have to cancel the whole lot and reapply....mind you I personally think it's a bit cheeky expecting people to make a decision in seconds over the phone... still I s'pose that's our fault for applying over the phone...and my fault for reading martin's book and becoming more savvy.... if I hadn't then we wouldn't be so bothered about cancelling.... oh what to do :confused:
    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...
    until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family