Confused about Natwest MRP/MPPI...

edited 25 May 2012 at 5:38PM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
7 replies 5K views
gojoroan2007gojoroan2007 Forumite
487 Posts
Hi All,

I have been searching and reading for ages and am just getting more confused...situation as below...

We bought our house about 4 years ago with a Natwest mortgage..at the time i was working sessionally for a government department which has now gone on to be full time.

At the time we were advised to take out Mortgage Repayment Protection insurance in case I was made redundant / lost my job, had an accident etc so we did and we have been paying it ever since...

I have just cancelled it today as I realised that my work would cover me for 'death in harness' and we are so broke, that if I lost my job we would have to sell up anyway.

On reading everything I have, I am still just wondering whether I could claim any or all of it back and if so which route to go down...

Any help or advice greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Gordon. :)
:smileyhea Thank you to all that post comps - may the Comping Fairy return your time and generosity doubled!:smileyhea
Laughing at our own mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else’s can shorten it.
;) Pronoia - the wonderful feeling that everyone is conspiring to help you!! ;)

Replies

• gojoroan2007gojoroan2007 Forumite
    487 Posts
    Ah well - guess I'll continue wondering...

atb g. :)
    :smileyhea Thank you to all that post comps - may the Comping Fairy return your time and generosity doubled!:smileyhea
    Laughing at our own mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else’s can shorten it.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    there is nothing wrong with having PPI to protect your mortgage and it is still good advice. but it doesnt sound like you were a permanent worker which could mean it was mis-sold, not sure what a session worker is though. How did you get the mortgage though? if you were not in full time permanent employment.
  • roonaldo wrote: »
    there is nothing wrong with having PPI to protect your mortgage and it is still good advice. but it doesnt sound like you were a permanent worker which could mean it was mis-sold, not sure what a session worker is though. How did you get the mortgage though? if you were not in full time permanent employment.

Thank you for your reply roonaldo!

Sessional work is as and when needed. It was at the time when NatWest were happy to give out mortgages and all I had to do was show them my last two pay slips which were good as i had had a couple of good months..as we had a good deposit too they were more than happy to give us the mortgage. :)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sessional work is as and when needed.

Do you mean seasonal?
  • No sessional is what they used to call it - I think it has now stopped as it didn't really fit with employment law...as a sessional worker I was called in to cover for holidays and sickness, had no fixed hours on my contract and no guarantee of work...however as there were always people sick or on holiday I got a lot of work which showed on the payslips I showed the adviser and as it was from a govt department he took them at face value.

I also had a small s.e. business but they wouldn't count that as I didn't have three years accounts.

My wife was also 'self employed' by Weightwatchers!! - after a long battle Weightwatchers have now had to admit that all their leaders are staff and pay them properly- but the adviser wouldn't count her earnings either due to three year account thing.

I am still amazed that they gave us a mortgage but we just kept saying yes to everything and they never asked a lot of questions they should have done - which is why when asked about MRP we said yes because we thought it would make us look better...

I very much doubt it would have ever covered us for anything...and if I had been on top of our finances I would have cancelled it a lot earlier...my fault really I know but as I get about half a dozen PPI claim emails a day I was just wondering whether there was any mileage in trying to get some back...

Many thanks,

Gordon.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No sessional is what they used to call it

That is a new one on me. Nice to learn something new.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    just put what you said here in a complaint letter to Natwest
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals