Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

MSE News: Investigation reveals supermarkets' 'dodgy pricing tactics'

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Investigation reveals supermarkets' 'dodgy pricing tactics'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
38 replies 5.6K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gone Off!
"Which? has called for tougher government guidelines on supermarket pricing after uncovering 'misleading' price tactics ..."

Replies

• Gordon_the_MoronGordon_the_Moron Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If a mango is on offer at 30p who cares if the sign says was 50p now 30p or was £9.55 now 30p, its the finishing price you should be looking at and thinking is this good value?

A few months ago I was in Morrisons and they had 125g blueberries and 250g blueberries, the 250g punnet was more than double the price of the the 125g one and had a sticker on it saying 'Bigger Pack Better Value' lying b***ards!
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • chrisjw37chrisjw37 Forumite
    75 posts
    I have never really trusted Supermarket 'deals'

Either the price is hiked first or the size is reduced, eg chocolate bars.

I actually asked a few companies how come a product was nearly twice the price it was the week before and if theres was a deal about to be announced.
    Halfords = lied to me - email complaint to prove deception.
    Tesco manager lied to me, openly about markups when challenged and the product was smaller!
    Maplins = told me bulk batteries would be half price on Monday, saved £12
    Ikea = told us to come back and pay for the kitchen in 2 days, we saved £400

PCWorld - are so dishonest with their pricing, it's almost a constant joke in the family, I just look to have a laugh, then go anywhere for 1/2 price goods. AVOID.

It's buyer beware of the corporate cowboys.
    No-one is your friend, its not about customer benefits, it's profit margins.
  • PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K posts

A few months ago I was in Morrisons and they had 125g blueberries and 250g blueberries, the 250g punnet was more than double the price of the the 125g one and had a sticker on it saying 'Bigger Pack Better Value' lying b***ards!

In my opinion this is worse than the "offers" as I said in another thread, I had at least half a dozen things on my list a couple of weeks ago in Tesco that were cheaper to buy two smaller packs than the "Bigger pack better value" ones
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • RafterRafter Forumite
    3.8K posts
    We should adopt the Canadian law for 'multi-buys' now! There if it is buy one get one free but you only want one, you pay half price for that item - no waste!

Perhaps this site could 'name and shame' some of the worst abuse of supermarket promotions as part of the weekly e-mail - then the supermarkets might treat their customers with a bit more respect? Maybe a 'worst offer of the week' or 'ones to avoid'

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Rafter wrote: »
    We should adopt the Canadian law for 'multi-buys' now! There if it is buy one get one free but you only want one, you pay half price for that item - no waste!

Perhaps this site could 'name and shame' some of the worst abuse of supermarket promotions as part of the weekly e-mail - then the supermarkets might treat their customers with a bit more respect? Maybe a 'worst offer of the week' or 'ones to avoid'

R.

What does the Canadian law do about 3 for 2 offers?

Good idea on the "ones to avoid" email, although I think that could end up being a very long list...
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Rules state the "was" price should be the amount a product was sold at for 28 consecutive days immediately prior to it going on offer, while a product should not ordinarily be on offer for longer than it was at the higher price...
    Was in Tesco yesterday. Saw they, like all the other supermarkets, are now getting a load of Jubilee celebration products in.

One that caught my eye was a tin of biscuits
    cadbury-biscuits-andamp-chocolate-bar-jubilee-editions.jpg
    (as above, chocolate bar not included)

Now I've only seen these in any supermarket in recent days all for about £5-£6 a tin, yet Tesco were advertising them at half their previous price of £10.99

Anyone ever seen or bought these in Tesco last month for £10.99???
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • edited 24 May 2012 at 11:00AM
    Stephen_LeakStephen_Leak
    8.8K posts
    edited 24 May 2012 at 11:00AM
    Which? should've just read this board on here. :)
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Shopping has become such a stressful experience! I get so frustrated all the time: I have to calculate prices per kg by weighing the items which only have unit prices; compare BOGOF, 3 for 2 or 2 for £3 (misleading as well if you are not paying attention), check the producer info for various items which appear to be branded but, on closer inspection reveal to be 'produced for Tesco'. On top of that, I have to remember the normal price of the product to see if it is indeed on offer. I also have the feeling -- mentioned in the article -- that they mark up prices and then try to entice you with 3 for 2 offers. Mr T has become worse after their recent fall in profits came to light.

Why can't we just have a normal supermarket which does not try to mislead its customers most of the time? Why does it always have to be a war between the customer and the supermarket?
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is just silly.

If you don't know the price of milk,
    complain that the supermarket is overcharging you?

I roam through Costco, Tesco and a high street nearby, etc. not excessively. If something is overpriced, I just don't buy it. Simples.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pineapples have been £1 each for weeks, latest Price Drop leaflets says "was £2 half price £1".
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support