Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

What's the single best tip you can give for all those in debt ? - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

What's the single best tip you can give for all those in debt ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
79 replies 16.6K views

Replies

• Sa1sysooSa1sysoo Forumite
    290 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Keep sight of your long term goal, whatever that may be.

I have a picture of my dream house in my cheque book and my purse, and every time I am about to buy something I don't need, the picture makes me change my mind!

I will get that dream house, and not spending is going to get it for me!

OMG!! This is a genius idea HHoD!! Currently saving up to move, inspite of my signature... And everything we can afford at the moment is just pants...

I'm gonna do this RIGHT NOW!!:j
    o:)Declutter 2020 in 2020 - 439/2020
    OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00
    Barclaycard CC 0% - £4,751.03/£4,751.03 MBNA CC 0% - £8,270.48/£8,528.56
    Nationwide CC - £0/£519.81
  • BambywambyBambywamby Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have a picture of Colin Firth in my purse....does that mean I get him soon? :D
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • wigglywiggly Forumite
    294 posts
    whatever you do, if you consolidate your debts CHOP UP THE CARDS IMMEDIATELY

or you do what I did and 3 times use the cards to the max again :rolleyes:
    Trying to get on top of finances one step at a time
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    wiggly wrote: »
    whatever you do, if you consolidate your debts CHOP UP THE CARDS IMMEDIATELY

or you do what I did and 3 times use the cards to the max again :rolleyes:

Why couldn't you have told me that 6 years ago? :rolleyes: ;)
    working on clearing the clutter
  • deliciosadeliciosa Forumite
    744 posts
    my single tip would be for dealing with debts - Ignore them and they take control over your life. Face them and they will go away.
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • azjh77azjh77 Forumite
    925 posts
    Don't worry ... and read Rob Parsons 'The Money Secret'...

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
    Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!
  • clarab_3clarab_3 Forumite
    691 posts
    Can only reiterate spending diaries.

Pay all your *must pay* bills on payday, then divide the remainder up for the rest of the month - withdraw your allowance weekly and when its gone, its gone!

buy basics in bulk.

life is full of cheap/free little luxuries - a good long bath with some nice music, a 99p facepack in front of the telly!
  • Ask yourself if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere :)
  • janey_ukjaney_uk Forumite
    204 posts
    Pay as much as you can off your debts on they day you get paid, rather than waiting the month to "see what's left".

That way the debt comes before all the impulse buys and temptation to sod cooking and get another takeaway!

I started doing it and was suprised how much it changed my spending habits.
    For everything else, there's MSE :T
  • Don't forget income maximisation as well as minimising your outgoings -claim benefits & tax credit entitlements ASAP (but do tell them straight away if there is a change of circumstances to avoid any risk of overpayment etc). Get advice from CAB on rights.
    Sell unwanted / uneccessary stuff, check out tax-breaks on income from lodgers if you can rent out a spare room.
    Also check all live-in adult children are paying their fair whack if earning... and resolve to have that difficult conversation if not.
    Overtime / negotiate pay rise / second job potential?

Be tough and creative, and think laterally for your own situation.