We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self build mortgage

Hello

Wondering if anyone can help

I have been looking around the market for a self build mortgage - I've found a good few banks/building societies now which offer this type of mortgage. From what I have read....when the bank is releasing funds for this kind of mortgage they do it in stages...1. for purchase of the site 2. for inputting foundations etc. I have been extremely lucky in the fact that my father gifted me the building site, planning permission has been approved and the foundations have already been laid - So I'm at a good stage of the build so far....just need to get the bricks and mortar up now. My question is......will the mortgage company look more favourably at my application since I have have got this far with the build by myself? Will there still be a need to put down a lump sum deposit! Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Just want to get my facts right before I go to the banks.

Comments

  • Fuzzyness
    Fuzzyness Posts: 635 Forumite
    i used buildstore for my selfbuld mortgage. at the time we were able to borrow a 100% of the cost of the land and the build. the money for the land came through on completion of the purchase (slightly complicated my wife inherited the plot with her sister and we bougth the sister out). we started building a month later and that triggered the start of the five staged payments that we recieved.

    I would have thought that because you have PP in place and that a start has been made then it should be better. have you got the sign off for the foundations etc from building control. we needed to provide this to trigger the next payment.

    good luck with it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.