We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

About to apply for mortgage, advisor warns about references

mr_flibble
mr_flibble Posts: 80 Forumite
edited 13 May 2012 at 12:21AM in Mortgages & endowments
Does anyone have experience of the Leeds or newcastle building societies?

I ask because my advisor said that as it is less than 12 months since I sold up after my divorce they tend to ask the last mortage provider for a reference. Santander.

Before my divorce my ex walked out and went to the states, leaving me with negative equity and a huge gap in income. I lived in the house for over a year then moved out when it sold. The house sold at a loss which I had to plug with help from my new partner. For a few months before i could sell there was an underpayment but the total in arrears never was more than a monthly installment. This was settled when the house sold. It does not show on any of the credit reference agencies as a late payment but if you look at the totals closely you will be able to see that the payment was light for a couple of months. I was subjected to the delightful multiple calls a day of Santander collections for months until the house sold.

Santander were a nightmare to deal with, they refused to be helpful unless I defaulted. I preferred to struggle on and preserve my credit score as best I could. I have two late credit card payments from that time but that's all. My ex would only sign the paperwork to sell and nothing else so I couldnt reduce payments by extending the term. It was a struggle but I paid as much as I could and never gave up.

My credit files are perfect apart from this and I have about 3k on credit cards which is reducing month on month (22% of available) I have no overdraft facility and can show I live within my means.

I'm now applying for a mortgage in my name only.

My questions are:

How are Santander likely to report this in a reference? Especially worried since I had more than a few cross words with them when I applied for a mortgage to buy out the ex, they said I couldn't afford the mortgage. Despite the fact I was already paying it and I applied for a longer term that reduced the payment by almost £200. No I couldn't work it out either.

Will the two lates on credit cards cause me a problem? These were on two cards in the same month,one late each. I paid the mortgage instead. The following month everything was back on track.

Should I just forget it, buy a tent and go live in a forest away from the madness that it today's mortgage market?

Sorry for the length of post.

Kel.

Comments

  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    If it does show as a missed mortgage payment then you are screwed so you did the right thing in making the payments.

    Card payments not necessarily a problem. Would have to know specifics, depends on LTV and other factors.

    Mortgage companies won't write for a reference. They may ask to see the redemption statement for the mortgage.
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • mr_flibble
    mr_flibble Posts: 80 Forumite
    The_J wrote: »
    If it does show as a missed mortgage payment then you are screwed so you did the right thing in making the payments.

    Card payments not necessarily a problem. Would have to know specifics, depends on LTV and other factors.

    Mortgage companies won't write for a reference. They may ask to see the redemption statement for the mortgage.

    Thanks. I have checked all three cra's and no missed payment is shown.

    Kel.
  • Dave_Ham
    Dave_Ham Posts: 6,045 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You did the right thing Kel, do not worry....
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mr_flibble
    mr_flibble Posts: 80 Forumite
    AIP Leeds. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.