We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Transfer of Title - fee

My partner had a mortgage with his ex partner who left the house and now he is wishing to remove her name from the mortgage (with consent) and add me. The fee to do this is £150.

Who is responsible for paying this fee?

Thanks

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    You and your partner.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Whoever wants to make the change.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,076 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Whoever wants to make the change.
    Good point. I just presumed it would be you and your partner. If that isnt the case then it wouldnt be you who would pay for it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    ACG wrote: »
    Good point. I just presumed it would be you and your partner. If that isnt the case then it wouldnt be you who would pay for it.
    I just gave a generic answer. Yours was specific to the op!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    £150 isn't enough.

    That may well be the lender's admin fee. There'll be another £300 - £450 solicitor's fees on top of that for completing a transfer of equity.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • star4876
    star4876 Posts: 61 Forumite
    agreed with kingstreet - and which lender has agreed to simply take his ex's name off and add you on, based on a charge of £150? that seems incredibly flexible by today's standards.

    you might find that this £150 is just an admin charge to go through a mortgage reapplication. In which case you could potentially pay the £150 and be rejected, so you're not any further forward. in my opinion its you and your partner who need to pay the £150 because its you two who want to apply for the remortgage on the house.

    assuming you meet the application requirements of the lender both you & your current partner, and his ex, will need to pay a solicitor to handle transfer of equity paperwork. I'm going through this at the moment and I've agreed to cover my ex's solicitor expenses just to get it done - I can tell you that both halves of that TofE cost amount to about £800.00.

    Have you considered that your partner's ex may require some return on her capital investment? If she's been paying the mortgage for however long then she's entitled to be 'bought out'... this process might not be as cheap as you're hoping...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.