We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Mortgage and endowment date different
tricia1900
Posts: 4 Newbie
After making additional payments on my mortgage I thought I had overcome the "endowment" problems. Ha! My mortgage is due to be paid off 7 July and having looked at the paperwork this weekend I have realised that the endowment does not mature until 9th. Has anyone come across this issue? Can't see the building society giving me extra time without some kind of pemalty. Also does the insurance company pay the endowment money to me or to the building society? Feeling a bit deflated and would be glad of any advice.
0
Comments
-
2 days is neither here or there. Nothing to worry about.
Do you have he original policy or is it held by the lender. Whoever holds the policy gets the money paid to them.0 -
Thanks. That's reassuring. I have the policy but it is "a copy policy for information only" so presume the bulding society has the original? Will make some phone calls this week to try and clarify it all.0
-
What matters is how quickly the mortgage is discharged. As interest will run until the debt is settled.0
-
Can't see the building society giving me extra time without some kind of pemalty.
Most will give an automatic 12 months and some will keep rolling it for up to 5 years.
It is actually very rare for the endowment to mature on the same day.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
It sounds like the policy is assigned to the lender then. Likely if the mortgage was taken out early 1990s or earlier.tricia1900 wrote: »Thanks. That's reassuring. I have the policy but it is "a copy policy for information only" so presume the bulding society has the original? Will make some phone calls this week to try and clarify it all.
That means the maturity proceeds should be sent direct to the lender.0 -
Yes the mortgage was taken out in 1986 so that makes sense. I don't mind paying interest until it's sorted but didn't want to incur any penalties. You've all out my mind at rest about that now though. :j I'm aware that this is not the worst problem to have in this day and age so thanks for all the replies. The advice is very much appreciated .0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards