We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Credit rating fear!
mtr4
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi all,
Me and my partner are looking to buy a house in a couple of years time, so have gone through my accounts, trying to work out where I can cut off cash to put more towards a depost. I used to bank with Lloyds and when I logged on I found out that I was in my (agreed) overdraft and have been for 6 months now to the tune of approx £600. My main account (where all wages go now) is perfectly healthy and havent been in my overdraft, my ISA is fine and healthy. I'm going to put over £75-£100 to pay off the overdraft but will this time affect my credit rating? I signed up to Experian but now I have to wait 5 days to see what my score is like with them, but it doesn't stop my panicing!!
Any ideas if it will be badly affected?
Me and my partner are looking to buy a house in a couple of years time, so have gone through my accounts, trying to work out where I can cut off cash to put more towards a depost. I used to bank with Lloyds and when I logged on I found out that I was in my (agreed) overdraft and have been for 6 months now to the tune of approx £600. My main account (where all wages go now) is perfectly healthy and havent been in my overdraft, my ISA is fine and healthy. I'm going to put over £75-£100 to pay off the overdraft but will this time affect my credit rating? I signed up to Experian but now I have to wait 5 days to see what my score is like with them, but it doesn't stop my panicing!!
Any ideas if it will be badly affected?
0
Comments
-
Its an agreed overdraft.
Pay it off and you will be fine. Lenders will probably not be too impressed you have been in your overdraft for 6 months, but you will only be sending bank statements in for your main bank account presumably?
So get it to a nil balance and you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Unless your applying with lloyds i dont think they will be able to see the balance on your account at any time prior to your credit check being done (Just make sre your credit file updates with the correct balance before you apply).I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
It won't affect your credit 'rating' in terms of having an instant negative effect, such is the case with late payments, defaults etc. However why have an ISA and a £600 overdraft? It makes no sense? You'll be paying more interest on the o/d than you make on the ISA. I'd clear it now.
As for it having a negative impact with a mortgage will depend on the underwriter assessing your case. They may ask why bother saving when you have an O/D, or they may see it as convenience. Still, best thing to do is clear it.
As for credit 'score' or 'ratings' provided by Credit Reference Agencies; ignore these. The only 'score' that matters is the one the credit provider gives you when assessing your application.2012 Wins: 1 x Case of Lanson Champagne :beer:0 -
I have 3 bank accounts, my account my wages go into which is healthy, my graduate account which was being paid off then I had a baby and it hit back up and am now paying it off (down to £1400 haha!) and my old Barclays account which I have been paying the od off on and off for the past 8 years. All accounts have been within agreed limits and show on my credit check but I was not asked about them. I am now making a conscious effort to pay them off asap!!! (this is because I have finally grown up and taking responsibility to clear everything and not bury my head!!)0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards