We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Do credit card limits (not balances) affect mortgage availability?

Sorry for all the questions! This one just occurred to me when reading another thread.

I have 2 credit cards with limits of £4,000 each.

I am nowhere near my credit limit on either of these, but would the fact that I could potentially run up £8k of debt be a warning flag to potential lenders, especially as I am earning much less now than I was when the credit limits were set?

Just trying to find ways of improving my chances of getting a mortgage and thought that voluntarily reducing my available credit might help.

Thanks

KPiG

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Depends on your income as to how much effect it will have. In answer to your question though yes it will have soem effect on it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mr_flibble
    mr_flibble Posts: 80 Forumite
    Interesting question. I wondered the same thing but as I have a balance a reduction would increase the percentage of credit used as compared to available would that not look bad?
  • eh2nt
    eh2nt Posts: 8 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    In the affordability calculations lenders tend to use the amount outstanding rather than limit.

    For marginal cases it actually looks worse if balances are upto limits so the fact that you have plenty of available limit suggests to me that you are living well within your means and i would say that this is a plus.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why have more credit available than you will ever need?

    Those that score on it, will only ever use it negatively.

    As there's nothing positive.
  • holly_hobby
    holly_hobby Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 12 May 2012 at 3:50PM
    Lenders do look at the total access to rolling credit post completion that an applicant has, in comparison to income, and in addition of course to o/s balances, and payment profile history - this is due to the negative imact on disp income that increased debt repayments by increased balances will have, and the possible resulting effect on servicing the mge.

    I have known cases be rejected due to the amount of rolling credit available to the applicant, so it is a factor considered during the underwriting and credit scoring process. (solution normally by the proposition of the individual to voluntarily close off unused credit facilities).

    Hope this helps

    Holly
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.