We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Scared mortgage will be turned down - help!
sunshine2223
Posts: 46 Forumite
Hi all, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, I guess some reassurance if possible or advice for a worst case scenario!
Basically, my fiance and I have found an amazing house and have had an offer of £136k accepted. We already had an AIP with Northern Rock for £136,500 and have now put in for a 90% mortgage with them through an independent broker. We collectively earn £32k.
However I'm paranoid that we will be turned down! Partners credit rating is excellent but mine is fair due to defaults on a couple of credit cards. The defaults were because I didn't know I was dyslexic until a couple of years ago and I have huge difficulties with organisation, left to my own devices at uni I kept forgetting to make payments. Not making excuses for myself as I know it was silly of me but I've gotten some help since with organising myself better, so my credit rating has slowly been improving and I have a mobile phone contract and I'm on the electoral roll. The last payment on my defaulted credit card was 2 years ago.
The broker has tried to reassure me by saying that they will have done the credit check for the AIP but I know that they sometimes still turn you down for the mortgage. We love the house and I'm so scared of losing it because of mistakes that I made in the past!
Basically, my fiance and I have found an amazing house and have had an offer of £136k accepted. We already had an AIP with Northern Rock for £136,500 and have now put in for a 90% mortgage with them through an independent broker. We collectively earn £32k.
However I'm paranoid that we will be turned down! Partners credit rating is excellent but mine is fair due to defaults on a couple of credit cards. The defaults were because I didn't know I was dyslexic until a couple of years ago and I have huge difficulties with organisation, left to my own devices at uni I kept forgetting to make payments. Not making excuses for myself as I know it was silly of me but I've gotten some help since with organising myself better, so my credit rating has slowly been improving and I have a mobile phone contract and I'm on the electoral roll. The last payment on my defaulted credit card was 2 years ago.
The broker has tried to reassure me by saying that they will have done the credit check for the AIP but I know that they sometimes still turn you down for the mortgage. We love the house and I'm so scared of losing it because of mistakes that I made in the past!
0
Comments
-
Paranoia is an irrational fear. You're not paranoid. If your mortgage application gets rejected, it'll be because of your bad credit record, your low income, or your low deposit. Not because some shadowy organisaion is conspiring against you.
How long is it since you submitted the application? Why not try to be more unemotional, and generally try not to give a bag of f*cks. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Who gives a sh*t.
It's just a house.0 -
Northern Rock are extremely picky about credit score at 90% LTV. You should be fine.The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards