We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Screwed by santander

Hi, I was tied into my mortgage with Santander and wanted to move. I contacted them regarding porting my mortgage and borrowing a bit extra for the new house, everything was agreed in principle. When applying 2 weeks later I was told they had changed their lending criteria and that they would not lend to me, giving me no alternative but to obtain a new mortgage elsewhere and pay them over £4k in fees (or not move!). I was never late or missed a payment in the 5 years I was with them. Do I have any claim to try and argue this or should I jsut swallow it. :mad:

Comments

  • suburbanwifey
    suburbanwifey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    I often wonder if they do this just to put people in this position, to make an extra 4k from them mmmm.

    I don't think there is anything you can do, I think you'll have to swallow it and never go near horrid Santander again.
  • MonkeyMad
    MonkeyMad Posts: 421 Forumite
    I often wonder if they do this just to put people in this position, to make an extra 4k from them mmmm.
    I don't understand what it is exactly that Santander have done except not advance the OP any more money (unless there was some explicit agreement that they would always be able to port their mortgage, and if they chose to leave there would be no fees)?
  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    No claim. In future try and tie your home moves in with your mortgage benefit period ending.

    It's what I'd advise all my clients to do.
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    What change in criteria has affected you?

    They won't lend to you at all, or won't lend the amount you need?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MonkeyMad wrote: »
    unless there was some explicit agreement that they would always be able to port their mortgage
    Which only confers a right to move the rate to a new mortgage, not a guarantee of the new mortgage being made automatically available.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • MonkeyMad
    MonkeyMad Posts: 421 Forumite
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Which only confers a right to move the rate to a new mortgage, not a guarantee of the new mortgage being made automatically available.

    Indeed....
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.