We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fixed rate period ending soon

2»

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Now that some providers have put up their rates I'm getting new fixed 3yr rate from nationwide @ 2.99% (no fees).

    You are the sort of customer the NW love. As you've given up your guaranteed 2% above base rate for life mortgage.

    What's your follow on rate when the fixed term ends?
  • marathonic
    marathonic Posts: 1,797 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    You are the sort of customer the NW love. As you've given up your guaranteed 2% above base rate for life mortgage.

    What's your follow on rate when the fixed term ends?


    Yeah, has he already taken it or is he planning to apply? Obviously, if he hasn't applied yet, he should SERIOUSLY reconsider it... Money is unlikely to come that cheap again - even after the crisis is over!!!!
  • cclarke12
    cclarke12 Posts: 231 Forumite
    Our 5yr fixed rate finished this month.

    Fixed with Nationwide at 5.34% now down to 2.5%

    Your rate will change to whatever your mortgage providers base rate is. Some providers have base rate & standard variable rate.

    Our mortgage dropped £220 a month!!!

    Now that some providers have put up their rates I'm getting new fixed 3yr rate from nationwide @ 2.99% (no fees).

    We are in same position as you - 5 year fixed is coming to an end. However, there is no way we are moving away from the base rate mortgage of 2.5%. The lowest 3 year fixed rate I could see with them is 3.79%, so interest rates would need to hit over 1.79% before the fixed rate became a better deal. Over three years I think we will be better off sticking with base rate mortgage given interest rates are showing little sign of movement in the short term.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Our 5yr fixed rate finished this month.

    Fixed with Nationwide at 5.34% now down to 2.5%

    Your rate will change to whatever your mortgage providers base rate is. Some providers have base rate & standard variable rate.

    Our mortgage dropped £220 a month!!!

    Now that some providers have put up their rates I'm getting new fixed 3yr rate from nationwide @ 2.99% (no fees).

    Look at the follow on rate on the new deal,

    Think carefully before giving up a base+2.0%
  • Thats kind of what I was trying to say in post #8.
    I fear G51 may have given up a lifetime 2% tracker(2.5% BMR) in favour of a 3yr 2.99% tracker.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    people need to keep saying it till they see sense.
  • I have the benefit of hindsight, but taking up the BOE + 0.99% follow on was the only sensible choice 18 months ago.

    We have low Equity so best fix was one year at 4.79% then BOE + 4.24% for the new follow on rate

    For a one year fix, even if it was 0% I don't think it would have been worth it, as I would now be on 4.79% and vulnerable to BOE changes instead of 1.49%

    For me a fix would need to be 3% or lower for 5 years to entice me from the current tracker. Even then at the end of the 5 year period the current tracker might be missed?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.