We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Monthly Mortgage Payments seem more?

I had a mortgage back in 2004 with Bristol & West but once the agreement came in the post I noticed the monthly payments were more than I'd expected. At the time interest rates were due to increase and so I had no alternative but to agree it.

I have recently contacted them to query and they say no PPI or any other values added to mortgage, and the values are correct.

The numbers are:
Total borrowed £93,299 which includes £299 fee
APR rate 4.89% (fixed 5 yr)
Over 25 years

I calculate monthly payment is £539.45 using a software package and many mortgage / loan calculation websites.

Bristol & West say it's £545 per month using the same figures.

Surely using the formula there is only one answer, so are B&W incorrect and are hiding PPI or something in the monthly payment?

Comments

  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,332 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    daily v monthly interest?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    When is the actual finish date?

    it might be over a slightly shorter term than 25 years allthough £545 is still a bit high.

    Answer might be they are paying the £299 fee over the 5 years £5*12*5 is £300

    thing is this was over 5 years ago so what were the actual annual statement saying for those years
  • snnexus6
    snnexus6 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hmm good answer, will check out the figures later, in work.

    I thought the fee £299 was just added to the overall mortgage value and was spread over the total 25 years and not the fixed 5 years.

    It was def 25 years, IE 300 months.

    I can remember the first payment was £800 odd to cover for some anomoly with mortage starting mid-month followed by £545 each month.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You need to know/use the actual rate, not the APR.

    Example from a client's KFI - Bristol & West fixed at 5.69% until 30/04/2009 (APR 6.6%).

    The payments for a £100,000 repayment mortgage over 25 years would be £625.49. By incorrectly using the APR, this would show a monthly payment of £681.47.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just another thought. When sourcing a new mortgage, I've noticed there is often a difference in the monthly payments between clearing banks and building societies. This is because building societies collect in advance and banks in arrears. latecomer may also have a point about daily/monthly/annually calculated interest, as banks tend towards the former, building societies the latter.

    For example, I've just keyed a case in Mortgage Brain and compared two exact same products, one with a bank, the other with a building society.

    There was a monthly payment difference of £3.22 for the same amount, term, rate, no fees added etc. The bank's product has daily interest, the building society annual.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.