We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Sneaky Halifax
mgarl10024
Posts: 643 Forumite
I have recently phoned up Halifax for a couple of routine issues, which have been dealt with well.
However, the last few times I've noticed them being a bit sneaky.
Normally, after they've dealt with my query, they ask about home insurance. They aren't my provider and would like to be. They always ask who my current provider is which is something I feel I don't need to tell them.
The call before last, the chap said "well sir, we are your mortgage provider, so we do need to know that". I pointed out that he had a right to ask if I had insurance, and I could give him my reassurance that I did, but that I didn't need to tell him who it was with. He dropped the issue at that point, although my next move would have been to have asked him to put his query in writing with justification of why he needed it.
The sneakiest thing that I noticed was the last time I called. I explained my query and the lady said "no problem sir, we just need to get you through security"
"Sure. Fire away"
"Can I have your DOB?"
"yeah....xxxxx"
"Can I have your postcode?"
"sure. xxxxxxx"
"And finally, who is your home insurance with"
I paused. A bit stunned. I mean, how would they know?
"Not you" I said.
Knowing she'd been rumbled she pushed no further and said "that's right. Can I ask why?..."
I was amazed that they would sneak that question into a list of security questions. That's outrageous. I wonder how many times people fall foul of that. :shocked:
Incidentally, isn't there a system that they have access to to look this up?
Thanks,
However, the last few times I've noticed them being a bit sneaky.
Normally, after they've dealt with my query, they ask about home insurance. They aren't my provider and would like to be. They always ask who my current provider is which is something I feel I don't need to tell them.
The call before last, the chap said "well sir, we are your mortgage provider, so we do need to know that". I pointed out that he had a right to ask if I had insurance, and I could give him my reassurance that I did, but that I didn't need to tell him who it was with. He dropped the issue at that point, although my next move would have been to have asked him to put his query in writing with justification of why he needed it.
The sneakiest thing that I noticed was the last time I called. I explained my query and the lady said "no problem sir, we just need to get you through security"
"Sure. Fire away"
"Can I have your DOB?"
"yeah....xxxxx"
"Can I have your postcode?"
"sure. xxxxxxx"
"And finally, who is your home insurance with"
I paused. A bit stunned. I mean, how would they know?
"Not you" I said.
Knowing she'd been rumbled she pushed no further and said "that's right. Can I ask why?..."
I was amazed that they would sneak that question into a list of security questions. That's outrageous. I wonder how many times people fall foul of that. :shocked:
Incidentally, isn't there a system that they have access to to look this up?
Thanks,
0
Comments
-
They have the right to know your buildings insurance provider, sum insured, terms and policy number to ensure you are meeting your mortgage conditions and adequately covering their security.
Lenders can request the cover be issued in joint names with them, or for their interest to be noted in the policy as mortgagee.
http://www.halifax-intermediaries.co.uk/pdf/mortgage/all-about-our-mortgages.pdf
There is no system showing them your insurance with another provider.I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
They need to know insurance is in place, but i didnt think they needed to know who it was with.
That being said, why are you being so secretive about it? All you have to say is im not interest in your insurance but thanks - can you also note on my account i dont want to be notified about your products again, i will ask if i want anything. Job done.I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
I'm curious to know who your policy is with now
.
lol but seriously why the secrecy? I know it's none of their business really but it's not a big deal to tell time surely?I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.
One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle0 -
Do Halifax like their interest to be noted on the insurance documents? Certainly some lenders do.IANAL etc.0
-
Until you've paid for it, it's their house for the most part, so why shouldn't they know all the details of who you've insured it with?
I think you are being a bit paranoid in thinking them sneakily trying to get information out of you that you mistakenly believe that they have no right to know.
You didn't mind them looking into your finances when you wanted to borrow money, so now they have loaned it to you why the sudden clam up?The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.
I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.0 -
If you pay for your insurance from a Halifax account or card they could find out anyway.0
-
The sales approach is sneaky. Ish.
But they do have a right to ask you to provide proof of adequate buildings insurance.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
