We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Increasing mortgage to fund improvements
moxster
Posts: 9 Forumite
Please excuse my ignorance on this issue but as a first time buyer I'm looking at buying a bit of a project. I'm wondering how easy it will be and what the penalties are (in terms of arrangement fee and interest rate), if I get a mortgage for a greater value to pay for the improvements.
I'm looking at a property at £122k and want to get a mortgage for £130k (actual value at £104k as I'll pay 20% deposit).
Can anyone more informed shed some light on this?
I'm looking at a property at £122k and want to get a mortgage for £130k (actual value at £104k as I'll pay 20% deposit).
Can anyone more informed shed some light on this?
0
Comments
-
The LTV (Loan to Value) will always work on the price you buy your house. So if you paying £18K as a deposit for a house price of £122K you are just a little bit below the 85% LTV.
So you have a bit of a way in this.
Apply with 10% deposit = £12.2K
- Will have a higher Interest rate
- Not all lenders would be happy to lend on this rate
Apply with 15% deposit = £21.6K
- Better rate then the above
- More lenders available to choose from0 -
You cannot get a mortgage greater than the value of the house even if you intend to do work on the property to increase it's value.
You have to buy at 90% LTV, do the work, then remortgage.The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards