We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Negotiating a Good Mortgage Deal??
keeko
Posts: 17 Forumite
Hello everyone,
I'm rather new to the world of mortgages and I've found 2 similar mortgage products that I'm trying to decide between, for my first mortgage.
Seems to me that the lender could potentially make a lot of money out of me by lending me the money I need. With interest rates from the 2 lenders the same, my choice will ultimately come down to which one has the lowest fee.
So Money-savers, has anyone here ever managed to negotiate with the lender over fees (or even the interest rate!)
I know it's a long-shot but any tips will be gratefully received.
Thank you
I'm rather new to the world of mortgages and I've found 2 similar mortgage products that I'm trying to decide between, for my first mortgage.
Seems to me that the lender could potentially make a lot of money out of me by lending me the money I need. With interest rates from the 2 lenders the same, my choice will ultimately come down to which one has the lowest fee.
So Money-savers, has anyone here ever managed to negotiate with the lender over fees (or even the interest rate!)
I know it's a long-shot but any tips will be gratefully received.
Thank you
0
Comments
-
the deals and rates they offer are a take it or leave it choice!
What you need to do is pick the best mortgage deal to suit YOU!
Now are you a spender or saver ?
Do you want the mortgage paid off ASAP or need to live life to the full with lots of holidays/hobbies/time off ?
I prefer offset mortgages and like the security of fixed rate deals ( not in one at the moment :-) ) but this may not suit you at all.
Time to speak to an expert ?
A bad decision now could cost you thousands ££££0 -
There are many other variables to factor and this is why you would be better getting advice formally, not just opinion.
Do you save more by fixing for a longer period of time, no product fees in 2 years, take advantage of lower rates. Against is if you are 85 ot 95% loan to value as you may be better on shorter and then rebrokering in 2 years.
Is your situation likely to change, how old do you want to be to retire?
Are you expecting any large bonus, windfall, inheritance. Is it just you or partner..?
There are so many variables and as Dimbo said, it is borne out of you, your needs and your circumstances. I may like an offset mortgage, but that may not work for you in your employment and lifestyle..
If you are new to this, I would also guarantee that a professional would find you a better rate than you can find yourself...
Good luck...I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
With all respect, your not in a bargaining position. You accept their offer or you dont.
Also dont forget, the amount they are earning is nowhere near as much as if they used that money for loans rather than a mortgage or invested it. The amount they will earn is over a long period of time so in reality its not actually that much. If you said £100k over a 20 year mortgage thats only £5k a year for taking on all that risk.
If i had £100k in my back pocket im confident i could get more than £5k a year out of it.
Lets hope THEY accept you!I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
I have plugged all your information into my chance of success calculator.
The answer is 0%The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
